Hi everyone, just wanted to make a thread to see what you seasoned anglers have to say about the pre-spawn and spawn times that are rapidly approaching us this year. I just got into bass fishing last season but didn't start until the 4th of July. I got a couple of bass including a 4.6 lber but it was mostly luck that I attribute that too as I caught perch and sunfish 90% of the time.

This season though, I am more excited and prepared than ever, except for the fact that I have never fished in the early season which from what I am reading is a different game than in the heat of the summer. Does anyone have any tips or techniques they would like to share, as I would greatly appreciate them. I am going to get out on the kayak as soon as a nice day comes and try my luck. I have a good variety of lures and soft plastics so I am willing and able to try anything as well.

Looking forward to a new season and maybe even meeting some of you guys out there on the water. Good luck to all and if you are feeling generous, help me out with some tips for the pre-spawn!

Posted Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:37 am

I like to use jigs and crank baits during the pre spawn. Find the first drop off near places you may think they'll be spawning. It really depends on what type of water you'll be fishing. Clear water they spawn a little deeper. Be patient. The colder water has the fish sluggish right now.

Posted Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:46 pm

Same here. I'll toss the jig with a small trailer and work it really slow or throw a crankbait and try and get a reaction strike. If that fails I'll throw a natural colored weightless senko and sometimes the slow fall is enough to get a cold, lethargic bass to strike.

Posted Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:34 pm

Last year, I had luck with texas rigged craws, but this was before I knew about jigs. Pretty sure jigs would work really well.
Make sure to wear polarized sunglasses to spot a few bass on their beds.

Tight lines!

Posted Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:04 pm

find spawning flats. shallow expansive flats.
fish the drops offs leading to deeper water. they will cruise those flats to the spawning grounds coming up shallow to feed.

squarebill cranks, jigs,jerkbaits spinner baits,swimbaits are very good.

water needs to warm up to the 50s for me to fish prespawn.

right now the water is mid 40s close to prespawn but not quite there yet

Posted Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Went out after work, fished a soft swimbait from shore wading, first 2 casts hit bass: 1 dinky and one two pounder, about 4 to 6 feet of weedy water. Then put on 2 monster Pickies a few minutes after. Saw some movement in the shallows (about 2-3 feet of water) and threw a topwater frog because the weeds were too much for swimbait and figured why not- had about 9 breaches over 20 mins and ended up hooking up on one, all small fish though.
I find fishing the shore with last light has some decent action if there's a drop off close by.

Posted Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys, looking forward to getting out there after I get back from this trip offshore. Just ordered some various bass jigs to try my luck with those. I've got a few spots in mind to fish when there is a nice day.

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:01 am

Slow rolling a chatterbait is my first choice when working the bottom... your covering some water with it looking for the fish......they tend to hang out in the same area this time of year

Obviously your considering seasonal patterns.....

I fished for two hours yesterday morning...nothing for 45 minutes....found my first fish with the chatterbait then caught 5 more fish in the next hour.....all within 20 yards of that spot.....all on the chatterbait...wish I could have stayed longer

on the water at 7...off the water at 9....

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:40 am

Today I tried an early season spot and got 3 bass 2 on a jig and grub trailer. 1 on a dropshot with a 4 inch grub. All about a pound or so, but they really wacked the jig esp.

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:17 pm

guys, just remember that LEAD jigs is a NO go in MA and NH waters. Tungsten is more expensive but it has its benefits.

as far as my pre spawn techniques go, it really depend on the body of water. if the place you are going to has rocks and stuff, a jig would work, but if you go to a place that has only muck and weeds, then a jig would NOT work.

this is my second pre sprawn and it is a complicated time of the year, you can get discouraged FAST, but you just need to keep trying and become a better fisherman. I, too tend to become discourage this time of the year, but i am decided to better myself and my cold water techniques.

where you from?

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:54 pm

I caught most of my fish on top water today, there is no magic bait for any season. Never did I think I was going to find a top water bite but that is what happen. Cold weather fishing is the most volatile, be prepared for anything. Find the bluegill/perch and you will find the bass.

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:04 pm

enogueira

guys, just remember that LEAD jigs is a NO go in MA and NH waters. Tungsten is more expensive but it has its benefits.

as far as my pre spawn techniques go, it really depend on the body of water. if the place you are going to has rocks and stuff, a jig would work, but if you go to a place that has only muck and weeds, then a jig would NOT work.

this is my second pre sprawn and it is a complicated time of the year, you can get discouraged FAST, but you just need to keep trying and become a better fisherman. I, too tend to become discourage this time of the year, but i am decided to better myself and my cold water techniques.

where you from?

you can fish jigs this time of year due to no weeds! i do it alot in places that are loaded with weeds in the summer!

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:08 pm

lot of these places are muck to!

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:09 pm

thelucky

I caught most of my fish on top water today, there is no magic bait for any season. Never did I think I was going to find a top water bite but that is what happen. Cold weather fishing is the most volatile, be prepared for anything. Find the bluegill/perch and you will find the bass.

had 2 hits on topwater on wednesday!

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:10 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links