Okay I got a question on kayaks. I have never owned one and I thinking about getting one. But I have a big problem I have a very very bad back and most likely could not paddle for long. I am wondering can you put a trolling motor on them? If so what kind should I be looking for? Are they stable enough for a big guy?

I am just looking for something simple any suggestion would be much appreciated.
Thanks Jack

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Trolling motors are fine. Kayaks are much less physically demanding than you would think (I wanted exercise when I moved into kayak fishing and was dissapointed how little I get.

Loading and unloading is the only obstacle....

You really should try one. My mom with MS in her late 60s could do it if she wanted.

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:07 pm

My husband has a very bad back also.. his kayak has a great seat.. he has the Ascend FS12. The seat in this one is removable and has a awesome lumbar support. He finds the paddling actually helps his back stretch out the muscles.. he can Kayak for 6-8 hrs but he can't sit in his office for more than an hr at a time..

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi Jack,

I have a bad back too. (I herniated 2 discs last year) I'm tired of shore fishing and have been thinking about the same thing.

I have tried both Canoeing and Kayaking and find Kayaking to be much easier on my back. I would suggest trying a Kayak out. I have rented both from Charles River Canoe and Kayak in Newton/Auburndale.

http://www.paddleboston.com/main.php

There are tons of videos on YouTube on how to hook up a trolling motor to a Kayak. MacGyver skills may be necessary!

I think moving the thing with a bad back is going to be the biggest challenge. Maybe a Thule Hullavator? Expensive!

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/water-sport-carriers/kayak-and-canoe-carriers/thule-hullavator-897xt-_-18974

Let us know how it turns out.

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Adding a trolling motor makes it a boat and thus has to be registered as such! You are not keeping it simple going that route.

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:42 pm

don51

Adding a trolling motor makes it a boat and thus has to be registered as such! You are not keeping it simple going that route.

it does make it a "boat", but i totally understand where hes coming from. i actually thought about doing the same thing but i might just save money and get a pedal kayak instead. if you got the money (around 2k) get a pedal kayak, native or hobie (hobie is heavier)

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:50 pm

flymaster1

Okay I got a question on kayaks. I have never owned one and I thinking about getting one. But I have a big problem I have a very very bad back and most likely could not paddle for long. I am wondering can you put a trolling motor on them? If so what kind should I be looking for? Are they stable enough for a big guy?

I am just looking for something simple any suggestion would be much appreciated.
Thanks Jack

I own a kayak for 2 years now and have a good back and weigh 200 lbs. If your a big guy with a bad back I would not suggest a kayak. Maybe when your in it for the first hour or so you would be OK but after that .... and good luck getting in and out of it. I'm not saying they are unconfortable just saying if your a big guy/girl with back isuues. I would think a canoe would be better
Good luck

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:05 am

stump

flymaster1

Thanks Jack

I own a kayak for 2 years now and have a good back and weigh 200 lbs. If your a big guy with a bad back I would not suggest a kayak. Maybe when your in it for the first hour or so you would be OK but after that .... and good luck getting in and out of it. I'm not saying they are unconfortable just saying if your a big guy/girl with back isuues. I would think a canoe would be better
Good luck

Unless he Gets a yak with high seat.

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:07 am

The ocean kayak torque has a built in trolling motor, as does the new predator xl (not out yet). Like stated before you would have to register it.

The biggest thing for back pain would be the seat not actually paddling IMO. Try to get some time in the seat with the pfd you would be wearing. The pfd makes a huge difference in seat comfort try to find one that has minimal padding on the back.

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:18 am

enogueira

stump

flymaster1

Thanks Jack

Good luck

Unless he Gets a yak with high seat.

Nice call, absolutely a high seat will help, like sitting in a canoe!

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks guys for the input I think I am going to have rent one first
to see if I can handle it. But I will keep looking and taking more info if you have any.
thanks again.
Jack

Posted Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:42 am

sitting in a canoe with a bad back is no fun either. I only weigh 145 with a bad back. I could only sit 2 hours in a canoe. you need the seatback for support. so I put boat seats in my canoe and am good for 4-5 hours now.

Posted Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:54 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links