My hubby wants to cut out the middle seat and make a live well.. I said just convert a cooler we can carry it on and off.. suggestions? We would like to enter some small tournaments this year..

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:02 am

Cooler would be easier and probably bigger

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:07 am

Cooler

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 pm

here's mine. it's a similar design but without the spray bar along the top of the cooler. the aerator head has adjustable spray and can really blast and churn up the water.

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Depending on the size of the Jon I would just bring a cooler. Unless you can weld plastic or aluminum and make an insert for it as you can't just cut the seat ad full with water.

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:03 pm

samf

here's mine. it's a similar design but without the spray bar along the top of the cooler. the aerator head has adjustable spray and can really blast and churn up the water.

Hey Sam what size cooler is that ?

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:30 pm

I forget. I'll have to check. Whatever the stratos recommended minimum is though.

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:08 pm

90 gt fits perfect in the Crawdad mike. I put 2 10 gallons in my topper

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Thanks guys ! I was reading up on it and people at bass resource we're saying they use 48qt livewell but it seems small to me

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:25 pm

One gallon per fish you catch for a limit. 48 quarts is only 12 lbs of fish. Especially if you catch the fish the first hour your fishing and they sit in there for the rest of the time. But that would be the day you catch 3 4 pound fish and think are they going to stay alive? Don't want to think about it personally.

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:35 pm

teamhookset

One gallon per fish you catch for a limit. 48 quarts is only 12 lbs of fish. Especially if you catch the fish the first hour your fishing and they sit in there for the rest of the time. But that would be the day you catch 3 4 pound fish and think are they going to stay alive? Don't want to think about it personally.

You just have to do your best when you have those days that go your way and you have some quality fish in the livewell. We have a decent size cooler and the spray bar setup, like most on here do. As long as you keep the filter clean, add some fresh water every hour and some "Catch & Release" blue type stuff, you'll be fine. Add a few frozen bottled water in the Summertime to keep the water cool too! It may be a bit crowded (if you're lucky), but you'll have nice lively fish at weigh in. We've had 15 lbs in ours and have not lost a fish in 3 years following the above guidelines.

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions about what we use specifically! Very Happy

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:33 pm

mine's 70 quarts and it fits well in a 12' jon boat.

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:43 pm

I like your livewell setup Sam!

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:05 pm

if i could do it again i'd put the tubing on the side mostly b/c of the way the cooler sits in the boat and bc of where the socket is.

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:51 pm

All in all 48 is too small. 70 is probably perfect size.i have to post some pics of my built ins so u guys can see them.

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:59 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links