Have done virtually no jig fishing(except crappie jigging as a youngster). Lokking for some tips on set ups and what kind of jigs anyone would suggest.Also what kind of trailors and when is best time to use them.Want to give them a shot.

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:34 pm

medium heavy rod! braid!!

i love black blue black red and black jigs!!!

ive got more different types of trailers then i do jigs!!!

my fav is a black blue finese jig!!! i call her miss piggy!!

pitch it to a tree! work it SLOW!! BAM! Fish on!!! i mainly fish wood cover! logs stumps trees brush! some ponds i crush em on jigs! others i catch only big bass on jigs! some ponds i dont catch fish on jigs! i got a few diff style jigs but my fav is deff arky style

for finesse,which i use most, i use a MH spinning rod with 10 PP. I LOVE IT!

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:23 pm

i do the best on jigs in early spring! but if im having a slow day!! ill toss out miss piggy and catch a few fish! chances are you catch a biggon!

ive noticed my average size has gone up!

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:24 pm

What about hair jigs? What size and color? When to throw them and where to throw them? I've noticed some guys on the sight saying they use them in late fall early winter when the bite is slow. Any advice?

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:19 pm

Thanks bassturds. I will buy a few n experiment with dif trailers. I have read n also saw muskie nail a nice 3+ lb smallie at the chu off one. I think at sud res I could have some real success wwith them.

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Let me tell you something, Jigs are one of most effective lure to catching bass in anywhere.. There are couple of things that you need to aware of using jigs..

1) You can thrown jigs at anywhere.. I mean laterally every inch of your ponds/lakes.

2) your jigging technique has to be "jigging" to fool your fish to bite. use your image what bass like to attack.. for example, jigging twice then let it pause for 5 seconds before repeat the process.. this is what my most effective method that worked well for me.. I taught bassturds about this.. His catch rate goes out of roof!

3) Color is tend not big factor to any big lakes.. but smaller ponds does.. since they are frickly about it.. go with natural forge colors such as brown, green, and blue. You cannot go wrong with that.

Good luck!

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 pm

You might get a lot of different opinions on brands of jigs so here's some general information on some of the different types. A lot of them come in different varieties - you can find finesse football and stand up jigs etc.

Grass - rounder or more pointed head to go through grass and weeds better.
Football - Football head which is better to drag through rocks
Flipping Jigs - Bulkier, heavier gauge hook for flipping heavy cover.
Stand up - Flat bottom and will stand straight up on the bottom.
Arkie - Sort of a combination between grass and stand up.
Finesse - Usually a thinner skirt and thinner hook with shorter shank.
Swim - Cast and retrieve sort of like a spinnerbait.

Trailers -

There are bulky trailers and there are more finesse style trailers. You ca use almost anything but one of the most popular is a craw type bait like a Berkley Chigger Craw. Just keep in mind that some "flap" a lot and some don't create as much commotion on the fall. This can impact how fast a jig falls. A Berkley Chigger Craw will fall slower than a "Beaver" style bait for example.

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:14 am

I'll throw lighter jigs finesse jigs on a MH rod with a fast tip ad heavier jigs on a H rod with a fast tip. 7' - 7'3". Line anywhere from 12 - 17 lb fluoro. I don't use braid since I don't throw jigs in the slop.

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:18 am

samf

You might get a lot of different opinions on brands of jigs so here's some general information on some of the different types. A lot of them come in different varieties - you can find finesse football and stand up jigs etc.

Grass - rounder or more pointed head to go through grass and weeds better.
Football - Football head which is better to drag through rocks
Flipping Jigs - Bulkier, heavier gauge hook for flipping heavy cover.
Stand up - Flat bottom and will stand straight up on the bottom.
Arkie - Sort of a combination between grass and stand up.
Finesse - Usually a thinner skirt and thinner hook with shorter shank.
Swim - Cast and retrieve sort of like a spinnerbait.

Trailers -

There are bulky trailers and there are more finesse style trailers. You ca use almost anything but one of the most popular is a craw type bait like a Berkley Chigger Craw. Just keep in mind that some "flap" a lot and some don't create as much commotion on the fall. This can impact how fast a jig falls. A Berkley Chigger Craw will fall slower than a "Beaver" style bait for example.

You said Beaver!!!

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:51 pm

For flipping and pitching I like an "arkie" style head or a flat bottom "stand up" arkie head. I find they come through the cover best and that style head skips great. I keep it simple. Black jig, black #11 uncle Josh pork trailer 75% of the time/ the other 25% I use a combination of browns and greens in clear water. 1/4 oz to 3/8 oz in the spring. The colder the water the lighter the jig. I start out right after ice out with a 1/4 oz. As the water warms into the 50's I bump up to 3/8th. The colder the water the slower fall you want to let the fish have more time to react. Fish in the spring with get up on the banks in and around downed trees and overhanging bushes. They will suspend in them under branches. I find that I get 90% of my hits on the initial pitch in. The bass are in the trees to feed and they usually pounce on whatever falls infront of them. If not on the initial pitch then on the 1st couple lift and drops. Sometimes you do not put it right infront of them and they need a lift or 2 to find it. Dragging a jig on the bottom is also an effective retrieve in spring. Do not lift it off the bottom at all but drag it 6" or so at a time and pause a few seconds inbetween. This is a great retrieve in open water along weedlines and dropoffs.

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:01 pm

I have a jig tied on all the time. Every weather condition. Any time of year.

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:44 pm

i love the beaver.

i forgot about colors. i keep it simple too...green pumpkins and black / blue mostly.

i use a zoom ultra vibe speed craw as a trailer a lot of the time.

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:54 pm

shawneramone

I have a jig tied on all the time. Every weather condition. Any time of year.

white lightning!!!

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:16 pm

I might try some jig fishing this season.

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:33 pm

kman

I might try some jig fishing this season.

Lead free of course

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:12 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links