I think I've only see loons in Q,CHU and ocean

Maybe not a loon in the ocean

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Never seen them down here in the south shore and cape! We don't have them down here! So is it a big deal in these ponds???

Especially the small muddy ponds we all love! Why can't we use lead In there!!

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:25 pm

oldfisher

the birds you see locally are cormorants. there are loons in the quabbin and other places too.

yes that's the one. i always ask shawneramone aka mr awesome if what i'm seeing's a loon and he always says it's a cormorant. but maybe that's because he's using split shot weights? jk

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:09 pm

Most likely cormorants!

I heard the Q and Chu are really the only places that can have populations of loons! Do to territory and neating!!!
Highly doubt it any will venture into my wonderful ponds!

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Thought I've seen loons at sud res but could be wrong. Looked awful lot like loons though.

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:21 am

Sam's playing dumb. He spends 1/2 the day using binoculars and pointing out birds to me. Hey look Mr. Awesome!! A yellow tailed New England warbler!!! It gets old

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:45 am

Not to stir the pot anymore about loons, but I had a Red-breasted merganser eat my drop shot worm on Sunday fishing on the Charles. After a short fight it was released. Hopefully it learned its lesson.

I hate all water fowl.

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:55 am

my buddy already had his lure flying through the air on the charles when a duck flew right into it out of nowhere. that was a disaster but it was fine in the end.

anyways, back to jigs. don't forget to make modifications. like trimming the weed guard or skirt to change the performance or profile. i'll also sometimes trim the back of the plastic trailer to shorten it.

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:20 pm

The jig has become my all time FAVORITE and "Go To" lure!

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:13 pm

what do you look for when you're throwing a jig? Most of the time when I use one I pull in more pond scum than fish

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:12 pm

mikem

what do you look for when you're throwing a jig? Most of the time when I use one I pull in more pond scum than fish

Downed trees, overhaning bush and trees, lilly pads, docks, submerged and emerged rocks, bridge pilings, boat moorings, moored boats especially pontoons.

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:40 pm

drag them on the bottom too - hard bottom is best like gravel, rock, sand. good way to tell what's on the bottom too. i started dragging jigs on rocky humps in deep water last year and it paid off a few times.

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:33 pm

I fish any wood cover! Realy the only type of cover I fish with jigs!

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:50 pm

You said wood.

My jig advice is always have one tied on and throw it anywhere anytime.

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:40 am

if your pulling up pond scum then its not the right application/technique to use. instead of dragging, hop it across the bottom, you pick up less scum. otherwise use another technique. a lot of the small ponds i fish you dont find much hard bottom to drag a jig so its usually just used for the cover rich mentioned above.

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:49 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links