I think this came up before but I'm going to stop using the walmart batteries and go with something a little more reliable Sam uses the cabelas brand maintenance free batteries. I see bps has one on sale right now. The optima is just a little more. Anyone have one? Reviews please

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:11 pm

i've heard good things from guys in my old bass club that have them. for what you're doing (trolling motor), is it worth the extra cost? don't they start at around $200?

i know the cabelas series 27 AGM battery is overkill for me but i got it on sale for around $150 and free shipping. my original still has decent power and lasted a good 2-3 years of constant use and this was before the motor with digital maximizer.

i think you need to speak with team beaver fever. and don't forget damon has all of those extra batteries he sells........

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:51 pm

With batteries, weight matters. that extra weight means a battery has thicker cells. Thicker cells means they can take more draw downs and recharges. You cannot make up for a thicker cell with other technology in a lead acid battery. Optima's are lighter and thus will not last as long. 90% of battery failure is operator related. Improper storage, improper charging and maintaining improper fluid levels the the 3 most common reasons for failure. There are only like 3-4 battery makers in the country. All the brands buy from these 3-4 ( it could be 5) companies and slap their own labels on them.
If you are willing to put in the time, most sites have exact specs of the size of theirt batteries, weight , plate thicknesss ect ect. Pull up 3-4 different battery companies and compare.
I bought delco Voyager batteries 2 years ago. This will be my 3rd season and I have seen no drop in power whatsoever.

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:25 pm

trying to decide what batteries are better is nitpicking. only a few companies make them. if you get 2-3 years out of a walmart mattery that works out to less than a dollar a trip.

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:35 pm

I have had good luck with the walmart batteries. I also got 18 months free replacment on the one I bought last year. I plan to replace it before this season starts.

I agree with Stratos, user error is what usually kills batteries.

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:44 pm

Yea, I remember this post..... I use the refurb batteries from interstate. I use them in everything. Never had an issue. I even had a craftsman rechrgeable drill and the two power packs would'nt take a charge. In talking to the interstate guy, he siad he could fix it. He did for cheap. They also puy new batteries in my old battery boost pack. That's all im going to say about that!

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:22 pm

It was definitely my fault. I let the water run out. Having said that, I refilled and charged it. Do you think it'll still work?

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:28 pm

i think i had a thread about batteries before i got mine. the reason i got the cabelas was b.c i wanted a maintenance free battery that was completely sealed since i live in an apartment. you typically pay more for these. regarding weight, mine's a beast at almost 60 lbs. doh!

you're still best off getting an insanely discounted beaver fever battery if you're going to get another or a spare.

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:06 pm

I don't want to be replacing batteries every year. I wouldn't have this problem if I took better care of it. That thing lasted all day in high winds. Bps has a sealed one on sale this week. I think it's the equivalent of your cabelas. Think I'll get it and use the one I have now for the rear trolling motor at mystic and during car toppers.

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:41 am

I use walmart batts in both of my boats. They are short money and if you take care of them they will last. Keep the receipts and if they fail, you are never too far away from a walmart to get a quick replacement.

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:19 am

So the bottom line here is I'm a dope. I'm just gonna get the same walmart battery and actually take care of it this time. Thanks for the input guys.

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:46 am

shawneramone

It was definitely my fault. I let the water run out. Having said that, I refilled and charged it. Do you think it'll still work?

If the cells were exposed then the battery was damaged. You should be checking fluid levels in the spring and then AGAIN in July and then again in the fall before putting them up for the winter. Do NOT leave them in the boat or in the cold without charging them every couple weeks. Cold kills batteries. They are best kept in a cool dry location. If you have a garage get them as far away from the outside door as possible. The basement is a better place as the temp tends to be warmer.In your house is not a good idea. The battrries can leak sulfuric gasses and they are not safe with pets around.. The high heat of summer can really do a number on water levels.Keep the levels almost to the top. Use DISTILLED water ONLY. Tap water has too many minerals in it and those minerals will damage the cells. You can get distilled water by the gallon at Walmart in the drinking water section.

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:55 am

I charge them after every use. I keep them in the basement during the winter. The one thing I kept putting off was checking the water. Then one day they just didn't last as long. I filled it with distilled water, charged it, put it on the TM and ran it on high until the battery drained all the way. It took over 12 hours. Then I took it back to the basement and charged it up. I think it'll work but probably not last as long.

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:40 am

shawneramone

So the bottom line here is I'm a dope. I'm just gonna get the same walmart battery and actually take care of it this time. Thanks for the input guys.

As long as you take care of the battery and follow a proper maintenance/upkeep routine, the Walmart batteries will not fail you. Save that receipt Shawn, as they have a pretty liberal return policy. One of us (and I'm not saying who) has a hard time hanging on to receipts, despite insisting they be the one to do so for some odd reason and then loses them almost every time Wink .

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:40 am

I probably have the receipt still. I'm gonna take a look

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:56 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links