stratos1966

I'm seeing like $400 for a duplicator???

250-260 or so. Look up midi/mini lathes.

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:12 pm

Just realized that I doubt Dan will chime in here lol

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:14 pm

Rich, we use(d) this lathe http://www.amazon.com/PSI-TCLPROVS-Turncrafter-Variable-Speed/dp/B000KI8CZ2

and the ~$250 Vega duplicator.

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Chime

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:18 pm

sent you a PM rich.

the vega duplicator is AMAZING. well worth the money. We made lexan templates for the different size slammers and custom baits. It allowed us to turn out blanks very quick.

If you take apart a slammer and sand it down you will find a large amount of wood filler because they use furniture grade pine. Still a great bait.

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:31 pm

bangbang

sent you a PM rich.

the vega duplicator is AMAZING. well worth the money. We made lexan templates for the different size slammers and custom baits. It allowed us to turn out blanks very quick.

If you take apart a slammer and sand it down you will find a large amount of wood filler because they use furniture grade pine. Still a great bait.

Got the Pm. Thanks Dan. I will call sometime soon to pick your brain. Can ask if you have attempted to add belly weights to slammer type plugs and if so what were your results?

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:18 pm

i have added belly weights to them. I found it not really necessary. You are just making the bait heavier to throw. You are better off playing with the size and angle of the lip if you want the bait to dive better.

IF you still want to experiment with weights in the slammer drill out a hole and use egg sinkers so you know exactly how much you are adding. To finish the hole use a waterproof sandable wood filler. It is important to use the right filler so that part of the bait will finish right.

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:23 pm

bangbang

i have added belly weights to them. I found it not really necessary. You are just making the bait heavier to throw. You are better off playing with the size and angle of the lip if you want the bait to dive better.

IF you still want to experiment with weights in the slammer drill out a hole and use egg sinkers so you know exactly how much you are adding. To finish the hole use a waterproof sandable wood filler. It is important to use the right filler so that part of the bait will finish right.

In a perfect world I could get a bait to suspend, like a jerkbait

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Nice work Stratos... Very Happy

Growing up in the Southern States my Uncle introduced me to an Old Man named Matt...he was an old timer living in the Bayou's and hand carved most of his baits from cypress knees.
The old man taught my Uncle how to fish using a method called Hi-Jacking...what an explosive experience it was to catch a Giant Larry via this method...
My Uncle passed the info down to me and I have but 1 bait from him that Old Man Matt carved..here is the image......the lure as it is reveals massive strikes and has tremendous character!! You can also tell it was hand painted by not so steady hands..lol

PJ

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:18 pm

So I picked up a used Tabletop Lathe today. 1/2 hp, 3 speeds It came with a set of 8 knives as well. $75. Going to bring it to my shop tomorrow and get it set up.

Posted Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Say goodbye to some fingers

Posted Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:29 pm

you know what goes really good together ? - coupple of beers and power tools like a saw Twisted Evil

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:01 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links