xqqme

I have just recently purchased my first baitcaster set up. I purchased the bass pro tourney special combo. I made the mistake of taking this out yesterday in the wind to practice. Needless to say, I am getting very good at removing the birds nest. I would recommend any body thats just learning to use a baitcaster reel to watch this video on removing the birds nest. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc It has come in handy for me.

That looks like it takes a while, all I do is put my finger through one of the loops and then turn the spool backwards 4/5 times. then just pull it out. Works pretty well. I'm attempting to make the switch to all bc but there are not enough left hand return reals IMO. Many people say its faster to cast with a bait caster because you dont need to open the bail with your hand etc etc. Sure you can cast faster but you need to switch hands to reel in. I bought a left hand return just so I can avoid that.

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:09 pm

I believe almost all reel models from most manufacturers are now made with left retrieve. For some reason many stores still carry predominantly right retrieve models but left retrieve models are readily available online. I have 8 baitcasters, all left retrieve, all different models from Abu, Shimano and Quantum.

I like your idea to clear birds nests by putting a finger through the loop and rotating the spool in reverse. In 95% of cases this will work, especially with braid. One reason I prefer Power Pro Super 8 Slick line is that I haven't yet had a birds nest that I couldn't work out with relative ease.

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:01 am

The one key thing I learned when using a baitcaster when you start out is to set the brake so that when you hold the rod parallel to the ground and release the lure straight down to the ground the reel should stop spinning almost as soon as it hits the ground. As you get better at casting and you want more distance you can loosen up the brake. But to start with take my advice and keep the birdsnests to a minimum.

Another good tip for getting out a birds nest is release the trigger, pull out the line until you get resistance, stop pulling and press hard down on the line on the spool with your thumb, wind the reel about a half turn or more so with your thumb pressed hard on the spool, release the trigger and pull more line. Repeat until the birdsnest is gone. It works 90% of the time.

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:50 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links