and if you use braid on a baitcaster make sure you put it on tight.

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 2:38 pm

fishermanmike

i use both baitcasters and spinning. in my opinion it is more about the rod. i think people like the baitcasters for 2 reasons. first is that they like the power most baitcasting rods have. it is easier to set hooks with them. the second is people just like the fact that it is harder than spinning and they feal cool doing it, being like the guys on the bassmasters. (i know i feal cool doin it.)
however, i think it is much easier to cast undertrees, i think the spinning real takes in more line faster with less effort( do to the fact that the spool is bigger and one full rotation of the handle has a bigger circumference than a baitcaster. and i know they have high speed bait casters now but i still dont think they are as fast as a spinning reel.) i think spinning reels cast just as far. and i think one can be more accurate with a spinning reel. So, i think one can get a good stiff spinning rod and achieve the same hook setting ability.
The 2 things i would definatly recomend a baitcaster for is throwing larger baits and for throwing floro.

you should see how good i feel after i learned to skip a baitcaster wicked good

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Agreed that spinning outfits are superior in the wind because there is no chance of backlash.

I think that baitcasters allow you to get your bait into the water quicker. What I mean is that it takes less time to cast a baitcast setup because with spinning you have to position the bail, open the bail and grab the line with your finger, before you can cast, all of which take a little bit of time.

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 3:53 pm

depending on what bait your using you may want a baitcaster. if your throwing heavier lures or flippin and pitching or frogging heavy cover, a baitcaster is the way to go. and like others said you want a more durable one then a little flimsy one. however, if youre fishing more finesse and using lighter lures id suggest using a spinning reel. that's just my opinion though

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 4:03 pm

it's also easier to change lures with a spinning rod because you may have to go into your baitcaster and adjust the brakes.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:45 am

zspook1

The first rule when casting a baitcaster is don't ever never throw into the wind..Even the best of fishermen will get a birds nest..I been throwing them over 45 years now and i still haven't learned my lesson..

Amen brotha!

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:38 pm

fishermanmike

and if you use braid on a baitcaster make sure you put it on tight.

Use a mono backing first to just cover the spool, then add the braid over that.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:39 pm

I never learned how to use a spinning reel, and even recently tried one again but felt it was too clumsy and slow and couldn't understand why anyone would want to use one. I use a baitcaster for everything and can't remember the last time I backlashed on an unimpeded forward cast. I fish unweighted senko's all the time and cast a country mile past most friends with spinning gear, putting the bait down precisely where I want 'em. I cast with the wind, into the wind, sideways to the wind, without a backlash... from light unweighted lures and senko's to heavier lures and monster swimbaits, etc. About the only time I get backlashes now, is when I hook something behind me on the back-cast (unfortunately I do it all too often) and don't know it until after I cast it forward putting the reel into a spin and the line into a rats nest. I turn all my breaks off so that I'm getting maximum performance from my reels, and I'm real careful to thumb it at just the right time with just the right pressure to avoid backlashing in-flight or on splash-down. I have a malformed thumb (jammed it in a car door when I was kid) which I sometimes jest helps - but it probably has more to do with the right equipment: precision machined high-end Shimano reels! I have yet to come across a situation where the spinning reel is superior, when the baitcaster is in the right (or better yet left) hands.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:38 pm

even if you put a mono backing on it one needs to put the braid on tight because if you dont the braid will kinda cut into itself.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Once go BC, never go back.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:15 pm

I have just recently purchased my first baitcaster set up. I purchased the bass pro tourney special combo. I made the mistake of taking this out yesterday in the wind to practice. Needless to say, I am getting very good at removing the birds nest. I would recommend any body thats just learning to use a baitcaster reel to watch this video on removing the birds nest. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc It has come in handy for me.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:52 pm

in all honesty i just got my first baitcaster begining of last season and took me almost a week before i got my first birdsnest, it just came very easily to me but i also watched how to videos for months building up to the point where i actually got one so i had an intimate understanding of them before ever even casting one. i now own 7 different baitcaster setups and only 2 spinning for bass anyways, i have a few more spinning reels that get used for other fish but i love my baitcasters! they arent for everything though , when dock fishing from my boat i throw worms and tubes on spinning gear cause im very good at skipping with spinning but i rarely get a good skip on baitcasters without a huge backlash. buy mid range not cheap cause you will hate your cheap reel

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:24 pm

If you want to get into bait casting setups, this is arguably one of the best bang for your buck setups

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Pro-Qualifier-Tournament-Rod-and-Reel-Baitcast-Combos/product/1210200646593/

Absolutely loved mine, fished it hard and it performed awesome.

Posted Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:11 am

When I 1st started baitcasting I went out in the yard and practiced for a couple of hours to get the feel for the reel. Learn how to adjust the brakes the more brakes the less distance but less chance of backlash. As you get the feel you can turn the brakes off.

Buy quality it will last perform great for years...

Posted Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:58 am

After having supertune my reels, Baitcasters more then spinning.

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:51 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links