Ponkapoag was effing ridiculous today, huge wind, huger wind gusts, white caps, swells, water over the gunnels, a literal boat load of work just trying to keep from capsizing. Managed to catch about 10 picks including a 22.5 inch on spinnerbaits but no bass. It wasn't safe to use the anchor so I stuck with the drift sock and was still moving way too fast to fish soft plastics.

Anyway, I am looking for recommendations for ponds in my area, say within a 20 minute drive, that are not beset by the Wind from Hell. PM me if you want to keep the location secret. I promise not to disclose the location in any trips that I post. Thanks in advance.

Posted Thu May 16, 2013 2:39 pm

I thought I read somewhere that you have a Hobie! What's up with that! The pedals are great, and combined with a sail you have a fantastic fishing machine! Take advantage of it man - get a sail! When it's too windy in a spot, raise your sail and fly to someplace else, lower your sail and try again. You'll figure it out. It's easy once you get it down. The gas is cheap and no batteries to charge. If there's no fish, you're at least having a blast rushing across the water under wind power! One Example that comes to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_sDKuzkAQ&list=UU6D77YCA6UA2hXLbSYfv1GA&index=4

Posted Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 pm

There is no escape from the wind Exclamation Laughing

Posted Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Havn't you heard.....The wind is your friend......70% of the time....no wind....no fish....Learn how to use the wind to your advantage....you might be amazed....But I agree. Sometimes it's not comfortable.

Posted Thu May 16, 2013 8:26 pm

The wind can be a good thing sometimes but out of a kayak it's a pain in the... Lol

Posted Thu May 16, 2013 9:03 pm

tacklesmith

I thought I read somewhere that you have a Hobie! What's up with that! The pedals are great, and combined with a sail you have a fantastic fishing machine! Take advantage of it man - get a sail! When it's too windy in a spot, raise your sail and fly to someplace else, lower your sail and try again. You'll figure it out. It's easy once you get it down. The gas is cheap and no batteries to charge. If there's no fish, you're at least having a blast rushing across the water under wind power! One Example that comes to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_sDKuzkAQ&list=UU6D77YCA6UA2hXLbSYfv1GA&index=4

Ha ha! Yes I have a Revo 11 and it's better than my Ascend in the chop and the wind, and the pedals make it easier to make progress against head winds, so in retrospect it would have been the better boat to use. The crux of my complaint from yesterday is that was unsafe to anchor, and even using the drift sock was "iffy". And once the drift across the pond was completed it was a near impossible battle against the wind to reset and start another drift. I don't remember the wind being such a huge issue the last couple years.

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 6:19 am

bobpuge

Havn't you heard.....The wind is your friend......70% of the time....no wind....no fish....Learn how to use the wind to your advantage....you might be amazed....But I agree. Sometimes it's not comfortable.

I am curious where you got that figure from, I fish mostly calm days and can't remember the last time no fish.

Last edited by oldfisher on Fri May 17, 2013 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 8:53 am

bloomagoo

It wasn't safe to use the anchor so I stuck with the drift sock and was still moving way too fast to fish soft plastics.

Hey John I've been contemplating a drift sock purchase for my yak.
I know you said it was useless yesterday but in general has it come in handy?

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 9:01 am

bloomagoo

tacklesmith

Ha ha! Yes I have a Revo 11 and it's better than my Ascend in the chop and the wind, and the pedals make it easier to make progress against head winds, so in retrospect it would have been the better boat to use. The crux of my complaint from yesterday is that was unsafe to anchor, and even using the drift sock was "iffy". And once the drift across the pond was completed it was a near impossible battle against the wind to reset and start another drift. I don't remember the wind being such a huge issue the last couple years.

Why would using an anchor be unsafe?

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 9:06 am

Two excellent questions!

Drift sock - actually it was quite useful yesterday as it was the ONLY way I could slow my drift enough to be able to cast and retrieve. I always have a drift sock when fishing medium to large BOW and have used it on many occasions. I don't usually go on the water without it.

Anchor - to avoid capsizing a kayak must be able to ride the waves. When you anchor you are locking yourself to the bottom and that rope is under tension, the higher the wind, the larger the waves, the more tension on that rope. Big wave hits you from the side, best case, water is forced over the gunnel into the cockpit, worst case, the wave pushes the kayak out from under you and you capsize.

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 10:41 am

bloomagoo

Drift sock - actually it was quite useful yesterday as it was the ONLY way I could slow my drift enough to be able to cast and retrieve. I always have a drift sock when fishing medium to large BOW and have used it on many occasions. I don't usually go on the water without it.

Cool thanks for the info John. See you at the weigh ins tomorrow.
Sorry You can't make the start.

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 11:08 am

bloomagoo

Two excellent questions!

Anchor - to avoid capsizing a kayak must be able to ride the waves. When you anchor you are locking yourself to the bottom and that rope is under tension, the higher the wind, the larger the waves, the more tension on that rope. Big wave hits you from the side, best case, water is forced over the gunnel into the cockpit, worst case, the wave pushes the kayak out from under you and you capsize.

So does that mean it's not an issue for a 14' Jon boat?

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 11:45 am

It's an issue for any boat, the physics don't change, the only variable is the size of the waves in relation to the boat. A larger boat should be able to handle larger waves but if the waves get too large you'll have the same problem.

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 1:18 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links