i was out for some pre-dawn action before work. i was surprised to still find fish hitting on top with the jitterbug. i worked a tube over some structure for a while, only to land a smaller fish after 2 casts of a jitterbug.

i've been pretty dedicated to sticking with tubes because this year my biggest fish have come on the tubes. so i keep asking myself if it's worth it: work the bottom for bigger fish or just use whatever they are hitting on expecting those larger fish to also hit topwater or subsurface plugs.

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Shake it up Exclamation Laughing Don't get stuck in a rut because you caught a fish or 2 on a certain bait. I keep switching until I get bites. This time of year some fish will chase a bait and some want something that is slow moving. You need to experiment with both and see what the fish want Exclamation Suspending jerkbaits are my first choice with water temps. in the 40's.

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Use tubes on drop offs, when you see a drop from 8 to 14 fish that, with that bait we have had most luck in deeper water with tubes. Good luck!

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:24 pm

AS the water gets colder and colder reaction baits ( jerkbaits, spinnerbaits and SHALLOW crankbaits like a Manns minus1) shine. I put down my bottom bouncing baits when the water drops into the 40's in favor of baits tha cover more water and can cause a reaction bite. The only exception is I always have a jig and pig ready for any shoreline cover being baked in the afternoon sum.

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:50 am

stratos1966

AS the water gets colder and colder reaction baits ( jerkbaits, spinnerbaits and SHALLOW crankbaits like a Manns minus1) shine. I put down my bottom bouncing baits when the water drops into the 40's in favor of baits tha cover more water and can cause a reaction bite. The only exception is I always have a jig and pig ready for any shoreline cover being baked in the afternoon sum.

I'm not sure the exact name. But do the blade baits like sonic flash work in cold water situations?

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:24 pm

jwall046

stratos1966

I'm not sure the exact name. But do the blade baits like sonic flash work in cold water situations?

Absolutly. I should have included them. Silver buddies, heddon sonars, ciccadas, they all excell in cold water.
Had a 30 smallie day on the Quabbin in early April on 3/4 oz silver buddies.

Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Absolutly. I should have included them. Silver buddies, heddon sonars, ciccadas, they all excell in cold water.
Had a 30 smallie day on the Quabbin in early April on 3/4 oz silver buddies.[/quote]

That's cool. Do you use a lift and drop techinuqe for these? Should i also use split ring? I tried one the other week and after awhile the line snapped and i launched the bait almost outa site and had no bites prior.

Posted Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:15 pm

I never tie direct.I use a snap, not a snap swivel. I also use something called a heddon speed clip. I use 2 types of retrieves, a drag with an occasionsl pop or hop or a definite hop and pop retrieve even ripping it off the bottom by a couple feet and letting it settle back. try to maintain contact with the bait as it settles dow because 90% of the hits come as the bait is falling back to the bottom.

Posted Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:03 pm

I have some speed clips. I will use them next time.
Thank you

Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:44 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links