Im looking to get a new jerbait, light plastics spinning rod. Looking for something that is 6'6 to 6'8 Medium Extra fast. I was looking at the Abu Garcia Veritas as they have a 6'6M ExF at a decent price. Any suggestions that done climb over $150 would be helpful!

Any suggestions on a reel to pair with this? Again looking for $100-$150 as Im sure the first post will be suggesting a Shimano Stradic

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:21 am

BPS Bionic blade ( white one) with the micro guides and a Shimano Symetre 2500. Thats about $130 and is my jerkbait set up. Spool it up with 15lb braid and you can cast a jerkbait across the pond

Last edited by stratos1966 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:42 am

I've had good luck with the St. Croix Mojo "Wacky Style" rod. 6' 8"Med W/Extra Fast Tip. I like it for Soft Plactics, Shakey Head, I've Drop Shotted with it. Don't think that would be my choice for a hard jerkbait, but you could probably get away with it. I like a more moderate tip for my jerkbaits. Denali makes excellent "Jerkbait" rod.

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:43 am

I love the veritas rods, but they can be pretty stiff. I would look more at the ml if you wanted an abu, but they are a mod fast action.

I know you want to keep it under 150, but the st croix avid 6'8" xf is a great rod. It's a little over budget, but if you get one you wont regret it.

As for a reel the abu cardinal is a good reel at $40

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:47 am

i would think you'd want a more moderate rod tip for jerkbaits right? probably not for plastics though. do you specifically want a spinning rod?

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:56 am

samf

i would think you'd want a more moderate rod tip for jerkbaits right? probably not for plastics though. do you specifically want a spinning rod?

Yup! I find that an extra fast tip allows a fish to pull out a moving treble hook bait easier than a fast or mod fast action rod.

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Sam has an extra fast tip

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:45 pm

shawneramone

A soft, extra fast tip? Is that possible?

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:53 pm

Def a spinning rod. Generally fishing from the back of the boat Im trying to make my rods as versatile as possible which was the thinking for an extra fast tip to use the jerkbait and light plastics

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Fast tip will be more versatile

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:16 pm

meat7gtk

shawneramone

A soft, extra fast tip? Is that possible?

somehow yes it is.

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:13 pm

biggz53

Def a spinning rod. Generally fishing from the back of the boat Im trying to make my rods as versatile as possible which was the thinking for an extra fast tip to use the jerkbait and light plastics

go for the fast then if you're going to use just 1 rod for both. or just ditch that damn carolina rig you use hahaha

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:14 pm

samf

biggz53

go for the fast then if you're going to use just 1 rod for both. or just ditch that damn carolina rig you use hahaha

ILL GET IT ONE DAY!

Id be lying if I didnt say towards the end of last year it made a really good soft swimbait and spinnerbait rod

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Check out the Berkley lightning rods.Not too expensive.Had 2 for a few years but only like the 7' medium.The 6'6 didn't have enough backbone.

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:19 pm

biggz53

Im looking to get a new jerbait, light plastics spinning rod. Looking for something that is 6'6 to 6'8 Medium Extra fast. I was looking at the Abu Garcia Veritas as they have a 6'6M ExF at a decent price. Any suggestions that done climb over $150 would be helpful!

Any suggestions on a reel to pair with this? Again looking for $100-$150 as Im sure the first post will be suggesting a Shimano Stradic

Bobby,
I own 2 of the Abu Garcia Veritas rods and love them personally. I am picking up another spinning reel. Either a Shimano Saros FA or a Pflueger Supreme XT, based on some reviews online and also reviews from the show "Beyond the Cast" on the Fishing Channel. They compare gear for the everyday fisherman and they just did a show for spinning reals in the $125-150 price range a few weeks ago. What the heck I figure, unless someone else has personal and first-hand knowledge to add? Good luck and have fun at Bass University this weekend! Smile

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:31 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links