Just wondering what kind of fish have you guys snagged on accident?

I had a odd snag yesterday..

I was fishing a random neighborhood pond with a jig an craw and on a random cast i got the typically tick and bam i buried the hook to only find out i snagged a jumbo perch??? Perch weighted around 1-1/2lbs.. Was a super chunky and really colorful. I was kinda bummed out though cause i really buried it into his side. Damn heavy wire annihilated him. Anyone else unfortunately foul hook some random species of fish?

P.S Before i could see the perch i thought i had atleast a 4-5lb bass lol. Foul hooking a fish can make him seem 3xs the size.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:36 pm

snagged my fair share of salmon, they tend slap the bait with their tales so snags are common.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Not a fish, but I snagged a monster snapping turtle on the Concord. got him in the neck. He wasn't at all pissed.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Clam

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:41 pm

As for a fish, like you I snagged a perch one time right behind the dorsal fin. Was bizarre. Fishing the Concorde river one time I hooked, and landed, a VHS tape cassette. Wink

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Last summer I snagged a carp in the back. Thought I had the state record bass. And another time last summer I sidewiped a golden shiner that was huge.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:00 pm

I snagged a Water Moccasin while fishing in North Carolina. I was using a Jitterbug and saw the snake crossing the river so I cast beyond it just for the hell of it and actually snagged it. I cut the line and got the hell out if there.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:04 pm

q354fc

I snagged a Water Moccasin while fishing in North Carolina. I was using a Jitterbug and saw the snake crossing the river so I cast beyond it just for the hell of it and actually snagged it. I cut the line and got the hell out if there.

^^^^^^^^
SMART

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:15 pm

I snag fish all the time by accident especially while shad fishing. Shad will often take a short swipe at my offering and end snagging them by the tail.

When the herring are thick in the Merrimack I often snag them by accident when lure fishing for stripers.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 pm

I snagged prob the biggest crappie ive caught on a kvd square bill right behind the dorsal fin. And i snagged a striper trolling on the top of the head. I also snagged a flounder with a deep diver.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:06 pm

Fishing for striped bass with cut bait I had the pleasant surprise of having a 1 1/2 lb lobsters front craw get wrapped around my circle hook to the line.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:51 pm

johnyak

Fishing for striped bass with cut bait I had the pleasant surprise of having a 1 1/2 lb lobsters front craw get wrapped around my circle hook to the line.

Did u keep it?

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:41 pm

Snagged a snapping turtle a few days ago on the side of his face with a jig; must have taken a bite at it and missed or something.

Dude was pretty pissed about it

http://i.imgur.com/O5uGrXQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/G4tTm7K.jpg?1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q1vGCiF0Mx4

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 am

So u put a hook in his face then hit him with a stick and taunt him?

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 am

I've snagged a smelt. Seagulls. Gannets. Horseshoe crab. Sun fish crappies perch bluefish. Pogies mackerel.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:19 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links