Just curious if anyone knew a place thats not too far into the cape to catch some smallmouth. I live in waltham and would like to keep it within an hours drive, but I'llndo what I have too.

Posted Sun May 15, 2011 5:54 pm

You might want to give some consideration to Great Herring Pond in Bourne. Been there already this year and had some good fortune. The ramp might be a little tricky for a Bassboat but it is well worth the trip. They may even be spawning by now.

Posted Sun May 15, 2011 6:13 pm

Danvers Reservoir, Spot Pond, Mystic River and the Charles River ( I think) all have smallmouth and are within 30-45 mins from Maltham.

Posted Sun May 15, 2011 6:29 pm

bassmonkey21

Danvers Reservoir, Spot Pond, Mystic River and the Charles River ( I think) all have smallmouth and are within 30-45 mins from Maltham.

Ive definately caught them in the Watertown section of the Charles, and In the Mystic River close to Lower Mystic Lake.

Posted Mon May 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Will ya crazy son a of b****, i'll take you to ed's honey hole down there you'll love it, smallies all day long.
i'll call you at work we'll plan it

Posted Mon May 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Been a long time since the last Will sighting! Good to see you're still around =)

Catching smallie fever is dangerous. I've wasted a lot of time driving all over the place to catch smallies. Still have a lot of practice to do in that department, unfortunately!

Posted Tue May 17, 2011 9:04 am

On the topic of Smallies,

Check out the May issue of BassMaster, in the lunker section, someone submitted a Merrimack River (NH) Smallie catch, 6lb 6oz! the thing is a monster

Posted Tue May 17, 2011 10:25 am

Mashpee Wakeby is a little over an hour from us in Waltham, but the Smallie fishing is supposed to be amazing. My buddy just pulled a 7LB Smallie from shore on his first cast. Must've landed it on her head!
I have heard NOTHING yet on Smallie spawn though. It is by far my favorite time of year to fish.

Posted Tue May 17, 2011 2:09 pm

To list out a few of the public access ones down south. Roughly in order of distance/travel time.

Great Herring Pond - About an hour

Mashpee-Wakeby - About 90 minutes
Wequaquet Lake - About 90 minutes
John's Pond - A bit over 90 minutes
Ashumet Pond - A bit over 90 minutes

These are all pretty big waters. There's a bunch of smaller ones all over the place down that way that has smallies. If you find a place that consistently has decent smallies within an hour from Waltham, do let me know =)

If you have the patience to start on a big place and learn it, Wachusetts Res has good smallies but it's shore only.

Posted Tue May 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Quote: Mashpee Wakeby is a little over an hour from us in Waltham, but the Smallie fishing is supposed to be amazing. My buddy just pulled a 7LB Smallie from shore on his first cast. Must've landed it on her head!
I have heard NOTHING yet on Smallie spawn though. It is by far my favorite time of year to fish.

Saw a smallie on a bed yesterday!

Posted Thu May 19, 2011 8:52 am

bassmonkey21

Caught a smallie on a bed the other day Smile

Posted Thu May 19, 2011 5:31 pm

volume4130

bassmonkey21

Caught a smallie on a bed the other day Smile

Probably the easiest fish you'll catch all year. Smallies on beds are pretty indiscriminate =)

Posted Thu May 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Haha, I won't argue that...hardest part was seeing it with a little chop on the water...

Posted Fri May 20, 2011 5:23 am

volume4130

Haha, I won't argue that...hardest part was seeing it with a little chop on the water...

Yeah, it sure makes it a bit harder.

Smallies on beds are good fun for a while. They don't fight any less, and they are a lot easier to locate. I had a blast for a day last year, up in New Hampshire. 30+ smallies in the 2 - 3 1/2 pound range, my thumb was torn up for days from lipping them. Not super challenging, but it was a great time nonetheless.

Posted Fri May 20, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll check these spots out

Posted Mon May 23, 2011 6:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links