Ya this little guy wasnt affraid of anything. he attacked anything close to the bed. even a bare tube jighead that i was using to retrieve a lost crankbait.

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 8:18 am

Fish the Charles river between Newton st and Farwell st, TONS of good sized smallies in there.

Posted Mon May 30, 2011 3:50 pm

i have to say i have been fishing the charles my whole life, and i have never seen a small mouth bass in it.
i need proof, lol

Posted Mon May 30, 2011 6:20 pm

johnnybag-a-bass

i have to say i have been fishing the charles my whole life, and i have never seen a small mouth bass in it.
i need proof, lol

but what part have you been fishing? the part between newton and farwell is not very accessible by boat unless its a canoe/car top.

not to mention when you get past the train tressel behind shaws, it turns into a whole new kind of river with lots of fast water and a very rocky bottom. Just what smallies like!

Posted Mon May 30, 2011 7:46 pm

ok your right i ignorantly have only fished the ramp down to the golf course the most. i have seen the conditions down in that area and could be wrong. i would just like see it. it's just been so long for me and i have never seen a smallmouth in the charles, let me know when you are in the area and we'll hook up and you can show me the way. i would like that.

Posted Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:55 am

johnny they're down past the waltham launch. check out the stretch below the falls or towards the city. i caught one the other weekend down there off of a topwater.

Posted Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:53 am

johnnybag-a-bass

ok your right i ignorantly have only fished the ramp down to the golf course the most. i have seen the conditions down in that area and could be wrong. i would just like see it. it's just been so long for me and i have never seen a smallmouth in the charles, let me know when you are in the area and we'll hook up and you can show me the way. i would like that.

Just as long as your not afraid of getting a little wet. You need to wade to the good spots.

Posted Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:45 am

@ Johnny

Of the two decent bass I caught last year one of them was a small mouth from the Charles. I posted the trip if you want to know the location. Caught it on 5/8 oz jitterbug just before dark in late July.

Right now all the fish just below the Watertown dam are gorging themselves on the herring run. So trying to catch anything in that section of the Charles is challenging. Although if you tried fishing a live shiner you might hook up with a Smallie or a striper that is if the yellow perch don't steal all your baits.

Posted Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:50 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links