I've been fishing with Sam quite a bit this summer and one thing he can do awesome is skip a worm on spinning gear into the smallest holes. Yesterday he started skipping a jig with a baitcaster under trees and in brush that I couldn't pitch to and he outfished me bigtime. Today while we were out I just decided in a snap to try skipping my jig with a baitcaster. It came fairly naturally and the feeling that I got when getting my jig way back there was awesome. It was almost like playing a game. When I started catching fish that I previously couldn't reach...well let's just say...BOING!!!!!!!

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:44 pm

Nothing like learning something new and have it pay off. The fish sleep a little less soundly now that white lightning can be skipped

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:08 pm

I've seen it done and have tried it.Have big trouble with backlash.Any tips appreciated.Rich?Sam?Anyone?

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Its tough, I only have one reel with the breaks setup even close to attempt it. I use a short rod. Try skipping a jig off your driveway to practice.

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:11 pm

my goal this year was to skip with a baitcaster. i'm using a 7'4" rod but it would definitely be easier and more accurate with a 7' rod.

in terms of tips: a 3/8 oz. jig with a flat bottom is pretty good for learning. a small compact trailer too. don't try to whip or slap it. just a simple side-arm sweep cast to get used to it.

definitely need to keep the thumb on the spool lightly throughout. i didn't get crazy with magnetics. i think i have 2 internal pins on, and maybe 5 clicks on the external. i set the lure tension so the jig falls a pretty fast if i let go of the thumb, but not too fast. maybe try putting the brakes on a little more than that when first starting. it takes some practice but what doesn't? you'll get it if you keep at it.

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:19 pm

I save skipping for my spinning gear, no backlash worries.

But Sam is most definitely a fishing machine!

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:26 pm

I what i do to help with backlash is make a reg cast and then pull about little more then but a strip of electric tape across your line so if you backlash it will only be from the tape up instead of your whole reel

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:11 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zVm2t8x6iA&feature=youtu.be

this is my skipping. I am on and off on this skill. If I don't use it I will lose it. I like 6'6" rod with fast tip. I like use magnetic brake system reel like the Daiwa. Everything is pretty much turned tight, not extremely tight. The spool tension control at least won't let the lure drop freely, even tighter than that. Don't need force at all to skip. Just easy does it. The lure should be hanging out about 18 inches. It is a somewhat upswing motion. The most important step is as soon as the lure hit the water you arm should have up swing motion. This is a difficult part. If you think about this motion you won't do it right. It has to become your second nature to be an effective skipper. I can skip but I can't skip too far out yet. I have to warm up a little bit before get on the track.

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:58 pm

I guess I'll have to practice away from the trees and brush first just to get the adjustments right.Then work on that upward swing.Thanks guys.

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:41 pm

nice job but you'd probably get a lot more distance if you backed the brakes off more. don't worry about backlash.

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:42 pm

semperfi

I what i do to help with backlash is make a reg cast and then pull about little more then but a strip of electric tape across your line so if you backlash it will only be from the tape up instead of your whole reel

What if you hook up on a big one and it pulls drag to the tape?That could make an even bigger mess.If you start getting the adhesive into your line and reel guides and level wind you might find some poor performance from your reel.

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:46 pm

it is a thin slice of tape. You know the little tape comes with your line spool. You can cut it in half and put on the spool. My line always messed up before I need retire them. Usually, if I hit an object before the lure come out, then it is a big mess can't be fixed. I won't be cocky anymore, I put tape on it to save some darn expensive Florocarbon fishing line just in case. If you have a big fish running on drag, the line will simply pop the tape off.

khaskins

semperfi

What if you hook up on a big one and it pulls drag to the tape?That could make an even bigger mess.If you start getting the adhesive into your line and reel guides and level wind you might find some poor performance from your reel.

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:53 pm

khaskins

I've seen it done and have tried it.Have big trouble with backlash.Any tips appreciated.Rich?Sam?Anyone?

skipping with a baitcaster isn't as complicated as people say. When I started practicing in my pool I was terrible but now after practicing daily I can fire a jig to the back of a pontoon boat. It's all about thumbing the line lightly and stopping it gradually and not just slamming your thumb on it hard. Practice always makes perfect

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Practice practice practice. Natural hand eye coordination doesn't hurt either. Tape is a good suggestion or try spooling your reel halfway. Good equipment doesn't hurt. Once you get it down you can skip whatever you want, I do well skipping a 1-1.5oz punch rigs where other people aren't getting with jigs. You can roll cast or pitch skip. I pitch skipped a 1oz tungsten to a dock on chebacco 5 times before I got the 5 plus to eat it.

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:14 pm

If you suck at skipping with a bait aster there is hope. Stratos can't do it.

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:15 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links