I like to use a 1/2 jig with a craw trailer that's pretty big with big claws. I feel like the surface area of a bigger bait helps to skip it. Went to billington the other day and killed it skipping under bushes and docks. Good times

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:32 am

lhpsnd

If you suck at skipping with a bait aster there is hope. Stratos can't do it.

I just saw this Laughing I can skip with a baitcaster but not as well as I would like to. I have my good days and some bad ones. I always have a short 6' medium heavy, fast spinning rod rigged up with 50lb braid that I skip my jigs with. I do well with that set up.

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:29 am

that should definitely do the trick. i forced myself to learn with a baitcaster so i could use different baitcast rod setups with either braid or fluoro in a variety of line sizes and a high speed reel...and not have to use a specific spinning rod setup. it's easier to pitch skip too.

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:13 am

Going to the Charles this weekend wondering if I can run gas [/list]

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:33 am

Sorry meant to make this a new topic

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:35 am

yes you definitely can.

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Sweet

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:21 pm

print a map out of those spots i marked for you. good luck.

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:24 pm

Practice is key, totally agree!

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:33 pm

I use a Damiki Casting Dark Angel rod with a Curado E & and 65 lb braid for most waters. I like to use a 1/4 oz Arkie or Thump Pro jig. I use a full size Gambler Ugly Otter for a trailer. The key I find is don't whip your bait use your wrist and flick it. I leave magnets and knob tension very loose and use my thumb to stop the spool.As a couple people have said it's all about practice.

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Speaking of skipping...Roland Martin just had a whole show dedicated to skipping Senkos (with a spinning outfit) under docks for big bass...worth watching. Episode is called "Big Bass on the Docks."

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:34 pm

I fish with samf. That kid can skip a senko under the lowest dock or smallest crevice with spinning gear. He's my inspiration as i was with him the day he decided he was skipping with a baitcaster from now on. He's like my personal Roland Martin

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:39 pm

its also good to practice on smooth cement i pratice using my truck in my driveway. I pretend that my truck is a dock. But its funny some days im really good and other days i suck like anything else. I like that idea about spooling halfway

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:50 pm

Hope you're practicing with soft plastics and not jigs Very Happy

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:09 pm

shawneramone

I fish with samf. That kid can skip a senko under the lowest dock or smallest crevice with spinning gear. He's my inspiration as i was with him the day he decided he was skipping with a baitcaster from now on. He's like my personal Roland Martin

ok so i had a senko tied on

actually i think it was a beaver fever knock off when we were fun fishing.

trying to go all baitcaster from now on.

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:33 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links