I haven't seen any Shad at there yet. Just bunch of herring. Caught bunch of them but released back. Wondering where is Shad? I used wader and kayak to scout the many areas but seen no big shad or big fish than herring size. (7-12inch) So, Can anyone confirm me that shad is there?

Only thing that I heard from Belsan bait and tackle said that shad was there two weeks ago. (I felt that was fake report to just get bait shop name on report list. I don't know because I haven seen nothing or something that confirmed me that shad is actually there at all.)

I fished this long section of river and haven't seen any shad from dam in Indian head river to Norris reservation section on North river. I did kayak that far and seen none at all.

Maybe I did something wrong or shad actually don't make that run up to dam anymore? (I used shad jig, flies, small tubing, inline spinner, and live worms. I caught all herrings on those lures and bait too. So I know that shad should turn up sometimes soon but they didn't.)

Please PM me because this location is small. I know many people will keep eye on this post. I really wanted to catch my first one. So I can able to cross off my fish species list. I have been caught 114 species so far. Shad will be my 115th species. Can anyone help me with that? Thank you.

Posted Sun May 05, 2013 10:18 pm

The shad are there. Belsan's shop is a good one and I don't think they would give you false information. Will send you a PM

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 6:52 am

Anyone catching shad here?

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Yeah I doubt Belsan's would lie to you, Pete's a good guy. The shad should be here now though considering how cold the start to the spring has been, maybe the amount of time it spent at like 55 degrees was when they were running.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Yeah, pete told me that shad is actually in dam area toward to cartopper launch. I fished that area for five days and three nights. Caught bunch of blueback herring and alewifes. No shad nor seen one. I mean, I am laterally hooked single of them! No foul-hooking. Probably over 200 so far. Just lost count due frustrate that I am not catching shad.

I kept asking anyone if they caught any or proved me wrong that they are here. Nobody say anything about shad yet. So, I don't know. I do believe Pete for sure. But I just questioned his internal source from someone who catching shad in that area.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Mark, there has to be ONE species that eludes you, that plays Moby Dick to your Ahab. Wink

Posted Thu May 16, 2013 5:21 am

bloomagoo - haha noo! I'll get him! this month is my only chance to get it. If not, there is always next year!

my moby dick to my ahab is tiger muskie that I always occasion hooked up but lost it at boat's side. So fantastic fish! Rest of them, pfft. Laughing

I'm just haven't seen shad was actually around that area yet. I know what they are look like so once I seen them. My eye will be like vulture bird over dead animal in desert! Wink

Posted Thu May 16, 2013 8:10 am

You can give Luddam's Ford in Hanover a try. They have a fish ladder there which would lead me to believe that they have an active shad run.

Posted Thu May 16, 2013 9:21 pm

Skewl - That is what I meant, Hanover dam in between luddam's ford pond and river. Sorry for not explain clearly on here. But that is the spot that I kept continue fishing at. Caught bunch of herrings. No shad was seen nor hooked at all.

Posted Thu May 16, 2013 11:52 pm

Ohh ok I gotcha. That's weird, I feel like that would be prime territory for shad. I've heard the Merrimack is good for them, On The Water did a show there but it was really far north, Lawrence I think.

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 6:49 am

Indian Head Drive off Elm Street- wade the shad pools dusk to 10pm for best results-bright orange shad dart

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 7:15 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links