a friend of mine sent me this video of a special place in northern germany that is called pike capital - funny thing its a part of east see wich is ocean water and pikes live in there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re5QrTJlkhs&feature=related

crazy size of those fish and in saltwater !

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:25 pm

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:01 pm

If they're salty, does that make them part shark???

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:54 pm

i never knew. that is pretty cool actually. makes me wonder if the pike in our local river systems hang out in brackish water at all. i just assumed they wouldn't.

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:23 pm

If they're salty, does that make them part shark???

put your hand in its mouth and tell us Smile

he calls them crocodiles

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:47 am

goldpinhunter

i never knew. that is pretty cool actually. makes me wonder if the pike in our local river systems hang out in brackish water at all. i just assumed they wouldn't.

They do. I know plenty of people who have caught pike and striped bass in the the same brackish water rivers. Any river with a good herring run is a good place to start.

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:58 am

skoda

put your hand in its mouth and tell us Smile

he calls them crocodiles

Haha...crocodiles is a good one too...nasty buggers!

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:51 pm

tunameltdown

goldpinhunter

They do. I know plenty of people who have caught pike and striped bass in the the same brackish water rivers. Any river with a good herring run is a good place to start.

that would be the merrimac river. even the upper part of the river (above essex dam in lawrence) has a healthy pike population. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some bigguns down closer to the mouth.

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:57 pm

dosent bass pro have stripers in the fish tank in foxboro????

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:30 pm

basshunter62

dosent bass pro have stripers in the fish tank in foxboro????

I believe so, they are able to survive in both fresh and saltwater.

Lots of decent sized stripers are caught just below the essex damn in lawrence during the herring run.

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Northern Pike are more like freshwater Barracudas then sharks, IMO.

I just got finished reading the book "Knowing Bass" and it seems like freshwater fish actually prefer brackish water versus completely freshwater. It seems that freshwater fish perspire salt, so living in a brackish environment helps them maintain their salt balance.

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:42 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links