One of these days we should have a pickerel tourney so I can catch 5 pound bass all day.

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:00 am

Laughing You know that's what will happen too!!! Laughing

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:01 am

Haha! Yes it will, maybe next tournament Ill go out and target pickeral just to see what happens

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 am

The hardest part would be trying to figure out where to do this. There aren't a lot of bodies of water in MA that hold good numbers of pickerel.

Also, in order to protect this clean and peaceful species we absolutely must adhere to a 100% lead ban. Anything with lead cannot be used. That means no spinnerbaits, swimbait jig heads, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, basically anything that flashes or makes noise. But this shouldn't be a problem either since pickerel do not like these types of lures anyways.

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:28 am

samf

The hardest part would be trying to figure out where to do this. There aren't a lot of bodies of water in MA that hold good numbers of pickerel.

Also, in order to protect this clean and peaceful species we absolutely must adhere to a 100% lead ban. Anything with lead cannot be used. That means no spinnerbaits, swimbait jig heads, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, basically anything that flashes or makes noise. But this shouldn't be a problem either since pickerel do not like these types of lures anyways.

Looks like its going to be a very expensive SENKO DAY then!

good to see you yesterday Sam

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:56 am

They Destroy Sanko's. At 8 bucks a pack... Best bet might be having the Tourny in the Berkshire's or down the Cape. Maybe Yarmouth. Both place's hold Giant Pickerel.

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 am

muskiebigfish

They Destroy Sanko's. At 8 bucks a pack... Best bet might be having the Tourny in the Berkshire's or down the Cape. Maybe Yarmouth. Both place's hold Giant Pickerel.

Best bet would be to eradicate the species as a whole, kill em all I say.

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:49 am

samf

is that a little sarcastic? because i catch more pickerel on spinnerbaits than any other lure. they crush buzz baits and swimjigs and im 100% sure they love anything that flashes. and the law says you can still use spinnerbaits and buzzbaits that contain lead, its only smaller tackle that can be induced by the bird

and there are plenty of places that hold good numbers of pickerel, charles river in dedham, dover, medfield those areas. cochitchuate has some HUGE ones, ive caught 2 4 pounders measuring over 27 inches on SPINNERBAITS there

Last edited by chevin37 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:50 pm

chevin37

samf

is that a little sarcastic? because i catch more pickerel on spinnerbaits than any other lure. they crush buzz baits and swimjigs and im 100% sure they love anything that flashes. and the law says you can still use spinnerbaits and buzzbaits that contain lead, its only smaller tackle that can be induced by the bird

Im sure he meant it sarcastically, I say we all do our part to eliminate them entirely, they are way out of control, and they eat baby bass. thats a problem

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:53 pm

Im sure he meant it sarcastically, I say we all do our part to eliminate them entirely, they are way out of control, and they eat baby bass. thats a problem[/quote]

you reaaalllyyy hate them dont you

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:55 pm

they are a pain in the ass

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:00 pm

i dont mind the big guys, but the ones in the 1-3lb range suck alot, and your absoulely right kman, big pain in the ass.

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:05 pm

chevin37

samf

good to see you too neil. sorry we couldn't stick around at the end. i'll hopefully make a bunch of toppers this year with my rig.

hahaha yeah 100% sarcasm. pretty much every place in MA has tons them it's so damn annoying. especially spots like norton with all that coontail and hydrilla infested everywhere. and you're definitely right about them loving things that flash. they love anything that's flashing or making a racket in the water.

i caught one yesterday that literally followed my crankbait to the boat. i saw it at the last second and pulled it out of the water, and it jumped out to hit the crank and hooked itself.

i had to throw the lead ban reference in there since it would be fitting for pickerel, not just loons.

i wouldn't mind eliminating the slime darts!

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:09 pm

excellent use of sarcasm. Sam the same exact thing happened to my partner. He saw it following, tried to get it out of the water and the damn thing jumped for it and grabbed it.

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Based on our performance yesterday at Norton, I'd say that's a fine place to hold a Pickerel tournament. After yesterday, I think I've caught more Pickerel this season than bass.

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:45 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links