Still no word from the EP, but I got a nice email from a person at Kayalu who explained that kayaking at night in Mass is legal anywhere that it's not expressly prohibited but if it's a spot that bans parking at night or something obviously they're trying to deter people from hanging around there after dark. Only thing a yak is legally required to have is a white light on the rear of the boat that is visible from 360 degrees, but she made the excellent point that to bigger boats those probably just look like another reflection of a shore light on the water. Running/nav lights on the front seem like a good idea.

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:19 pm

walleyefanatic

Still no word from the EP, but I got a nice email from a person at Kayalu who explained that kayaking at night in Mass is legal anywhere that it's not expressly prohibited but if it's a spot that bans parking at night or something obviously they're trying to deter people from hanging around there after dark. Only thing a yak is legally required to have is a white light on the rear of the boat that is visible from 360 degrees, but she made the excellent point that to bigger boats those probably just look like another reflection of a shore light on the water. Running/nav lights on the front seem like a good idea.

when i fish past sunset i just strap my head light on blinking setting and that s*** is bright. 15 bucks on amazon, 3 AAA batteries and LED lights. perfect and cheap solution.

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:24 pm

The guys that do salt at night and know safety have a light pole behind their seat with a flag and reflective tape. It's really hard to have lights forward of the seat because it destroys your night vision. If you use a headlamp use the red led to preserve your night vision.

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links