everyone knows how expensive senkos worms can be and o-rings are a huge help,but o-rings can be hard to find in local hardware stores.Atleast in any quantity or the right size.sure you can order them but I hate to wait.So here is a fix,I went to the store and bought about a foot of clear 5/16 hose(assuming its gasline).take a razor blade and cut it into small bands.Next just slip one on the pointed side of the worm and pull up to the middle or where ever you like.Exactly like o-rings with a couple advantages IMO. first they are clear so they cant be seen,second flat so they dont change the profile,i also think they are alot stronger,and last CHEAP.I cut around a hundred for 1$.If you have trouble finding orings or dont want to wait for mail order,give it a try.Not taking credit just passing it on

Posted Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:09 am

Great tip. U can also cut your worn out tubes in the same color pattern into rings. This site is awesome! Hey?

Posted Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:53 pm

Great idea Bam. I just cut a bunch. Could have used them earlier, look at my avatar.

Posted Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:56 pm

Nice catch roki! I cant believe my phone wasn't ringing off the hook.Page sure can fish lol! I might have her as my partner if I can get into one of the tourneys Laughing

Posted Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:25 pm

what are o rings used for. i just wacky rig in the middle, how are the rings used

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:26 pm

my understanding is that you put the hook between the o-ring and the worm. it saves wear and tear on the worm, while allowing it to sink in the way it normally would as if you hooked it right through the midle of the worm.

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Exactly.Senkos have a tendancy to be thrown real easy fighting a fish and sometimes even casting if your not careful about rehooking alot.Another common thing is for it to run up the line and be cut like butter.With an o- ring or an alterative like I mention,or several others,the ring fits snug,and is slid onto the worm to usually the center or the smooth segment of the worm and the hook is slid between the ring and worm,so the worm is never even hooked,therefore stay in the game for several fish rather than one fish.A twenty fish day on senkos can end up costing around.....well 6 bucks for every 7 or 8 worms.....alot on a budget.My personal record with the rings is two and a half outings with easily 20 something fish on one worm,and when I replaced it it was shredded from teeth,not a single jump or head shake...that i can handle Wink on a side note IMO the more pricey,closer to hand poured the senko,the softer,more likely to rip,they are.

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:07 pm

how is the action altered when you hook it with an O ring sideways instead of through the middle regular wacky style?

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:02 pm

I havnt noticed any change in the action or catching ability.They still fall flat as a board on a slack line,give that nice u-shaped arch when twitched and that random angled dive when snapped or jerked with a little more force.actually the only diff I noticed is you still have your worm

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:15 pm

I'm lazy so I just rehook a lot.

I love senkos but I noticed them coming off so often. I now use Strike Kings "Perfect Plastics" more and they are more durable. May be another option for some... Shocked

Posted Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:58 am

thanks i'll give this a try. i haven't really wacky rigged much before.

Posted Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:51 pm

I think you will like them,but if you havent fished wacky alot you might not fully appreciate the difference.Then again its always good to start ahead of the game.Good luck

Posted Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:21 pm

yeah i've read up on it a lot and have some of the gear - senkos, ochos, gamakatsu weedless finesse hooks and tru tungsten flea flicker jigs on the way. i've just had most success with the texas rig and never really switched up. i'll be working on it though. what's the strike like? same as the texas rig? line will take off and you know it's game on? or do you have to set the hook as soon as you feel the bite or line twitch?

Posted Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:00 pm

good choice with the ochos. imo they smoke yamies

Posted Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:09 am

that is a great tip, i use the rubber tubing for trailer hooks on my spinnerbaits. i've done that method between the hook and the work on the lower half. you can also cut a smaller one and use it towards the top of the worm, after you rig the head slide one up to the top and it helps with the falling of the worm as well.
this site rules!

Posted Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:54 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links