Just saw this on a friends Face book..European, but man that is what a perch should look like! I've seen some great fish in things like the Angling times etc..shame our Perch just don't see those sizes...Guys catching em as big as many of our bass ..nuts!

Anyway no real point to the post, just thought I'd share some random strangers big ol perch!

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Nice filets on that bad boy, huh?

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Holy yellow perch Batman, could you picture that bad boy jabbing its dorsil fin through your hand

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Holy yellow perch Batman, could you picture that bad boy jabbing its dorsil fin through your hand

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Now that would be fun getting into a school of them Exclamation Especially through the ice Exclamation

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 am

That's one heck of a perch!

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:52 pm

wow look at how fat that thing is!!

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:06 pm

i had no idea those things got that big haha

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Crazy I know..they just have a better strain of em, a lot of catch and release as well that helps. From what I've seen 1-2 lbs are fairly common and with people chasing 5 pounders, anything over 3 is typically considered a specimen..seeing an almost 6 pound perch is ..well..crazy

The old Brit record at 5 lb 15 oz

And of course the new brit record of 6 lb 4 oz...

https://www.foxint.com/news_main.php?catalogue=3&view=76

http://www.anglersmail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/kenbrownarticle.gif

Posted Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:05 pm

The old Brit record at 5 lb 15 oz

Almost looks like a peacock bass. What a beast. I wonder what the difference is. Water Quality? Food source? Diff Species? Predators?

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:17 pm

I wonder what the difference is. Water Quality? Food source? Diff Species? Predators?

I did a some additional research on this story using the posted links as a starting point. One of the "tricks" that this guy used was to feed the fish in the spot he wanted to target for 3 weeks prior casting a line in the targeted spot.

So to me this was more like catching a free range domesticated fish rather then a truly wild fish. He also "chummed" the waters in the spot he was fishing.

Ken who won the 2011 ‘Fox Specimen Cup’ has a few tricks up his sleeve when it comes to fooling a big stripy! He fills the Fox Swivel Finned Feeder with foam, which he had soaked in attractant oil, which sends the perch into a frenzy.

Since it is illegal to do that here, its highly unlikely that we will ever see wild yellow perch that size in our locality.

Posted Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:17 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links