Guy's.. went to BPS today and discoverd a new hook the VMC Spin Shot Wide Gap. It is a zero twist with a double eye swivel that eliminates tying the Palomar with a long tag line for the shot.

Check em out.. simple is so much better!!

PJ

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:37 am

I picked up a few packs recntly. I hope they are strong enough.

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:33 pm

used last year for drop shotting.
They work very nice!

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks for the tip Rick!

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:10 pm

i have a love / hate relationship with those swivel / spinning types of drop shot hooks. here's why...yes they eliminate line twist but they don't work well for a lot of drop shot baits unless you're really shaking the bait and making it move a lot.

if you're dead sticking and letting it sit there, the bait's tail either sags low or sticks straight up depending on the buoyancy. they're definitely strong enough.

when i drop shot i usually am looking for a perfectly horizontal bait since it's natural looking and i've tested these out in a tub of water and can't get them zeroed in perfectly. how the bait sits changes constantly depending on what bait it is. so i still use with my stand out hooks which always keep a bait in perfect position all the time.

but these things really excel when wacky rigging a bait and drop shotting. you usually get a lot more twist with a wacky rig too. and either the bait's hovering since it's sideways or floating upward which is a completely different look.

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Ill have to try these out i want to focus on some certain techniques this year and dropshotting is one of them i can honestly say i have only tried this once at oldham last year and caught a couple i was just using a wacky rigged senko but im determined to learn this over the fishing season.

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Kinda wondering if these are actually any better or easier than using a standard rig. The palomar knot is really easy to tie and you get a direct, single line connection between the weight, hook and rod providing good sensitivity. With these you are inserting a piece of metal in-line plus you have twice as many knots to fail. Not sure I consider that easier or an improvement.

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:11 pm

they aren't bad to rig at all. you just need to add the leader for the weight separately. definitely makes using fluoro more manageable. i haven't had any "mechanical" issues yet. i have the Gamakatsu Swivel Shot G-Finesse hooks.

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:36 pm

i havent seen these wide gaps yet but last year i used the original vmc spin shots (some sort of octopus looking design) and i liked them but as sam said they do kind of kill the action of your bait because normally with a palomar drop rig the line acts as kind of a bungee so the slightest twitch will make the bait wiggle and squirm where as the spin shots pivot on a metal wire swivel so they dont quite have that subtle bounce that you would get with a palomar setup.they are nice though and i particularly like them because i like to use a lighter line for my weight for instance i used 15 lb braided main line and a 4 lb mono leader for my weight so if i get snagged on a rock or something i can just break off my weight with a sharp tug rather than lose my whole rig or fish.

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:37 pm

I bought two packs. I tested in my fish tank. I am not crazy about it. The drop line sometimes caught in front of the hook. Will I buy third pack? Not likely. I use baitcast for everything. So, line twist is not a issue for me.

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:12 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links