So the past couple of days i have had a lot of time on my hands since i couldnt go fish and i was researching some new casting rods and ive narrowed down to 3 if i could get any input this would be greatly appreciated. The 3 rods im looking at are 1. St. Croix Mojo Bass 7ft medhvy 2. E21 Carrot stix micro guide 7ft medhvy 3. Wright & Mcgills skeet reese signature series jig/worm 7'2"

Posted Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:36 pm

They are all great rods. The only advice i can provide is to buy the one that best matches the type of fishing you're going to be doing.

Posted Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:02 pm

I hope this helps a little, I have the St Croix medium action 7' baitcast recommended use is for plastics, I use mine for plastic and spinnerbaits up to 1/2, works great...

I have the Skeet Reese crankbait rod 7' medium action and this rod is better than I expected. I know I'm not answering your exact question but I hope it helps a little bit. The issue w/ Skeet's rods is I can't stand him, and with the bright yellow rod everyone knows it's his...

I have not used the Carrot Sticks at all...

I'm not sure what your needs are...Good luck!!!

Posted Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Im gonna be using them for plastics and jigs

Posted Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:16 pm

I have a 6'6 medium heavy St croix mojo jig/worm rod. I wish it were 7 ft but besides that I love it. It always has a jig tied on.

Posted Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:55 pm

Shawn, why do you wish it were 7 feet? For better flipping distance with the jig?

Fishing from a kayak I find that 6'6" is pretty much ideal for open water although I use 7' rods for stripers and blues (but that's a different kayak and different application). I use 5'6" or 6' rods when fishing the narrower parts of the Charles because there is less room to cast and I am frequently passing under overhanging trees.

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:35 am

Ya i def want a 7' or bigger cuz i do a lot of casting from shore when im too lazy to go out on the boat

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:10 am

I have the 7' St Croix medium action it is ideal for plastics and light jigs. It cast great and plenty of leverage to move big fish. If you want to pitch into cover and for throwing large jigs you probaly are better off with the heavier action rod. For the money the rods you're looking at are a great value. If it's possible try the reel your planning on using on the rod so you can feel the weight and balance. Thiswould make the decision easier.

Good luck and tight lines!!! Very Happy

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:20 am

I know bass pro shops depending on the person will sometimes let you put a reel on a rod you want to see if it feels balanced.

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:28 am

I was def leaning towards the st croix because i use them all the time but i have heard so many good things about the carrot stix.

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:30 am

The Carrot is the one I never used. If they have the reel in-stock they'll let you try it on the rod. The problem with Bass Pro is they are out of stock on so may rods. You may want to call them to make sure they have the rods you want to look at.

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:37 am

I dont live far away and i need to pick up some plastics anyways so ill be heading there next week.

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:53 am

How much are these rods selling for? Right now on Tackle warehouse the Shimano cumara's are on sale for $150. You will not find a better rod in that price range. The rods are normally $230

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:14 am

The St Croix MoJo and the Skeet Reese are between $90 and $120. Not sure of the Carrot.

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:23 am

The Cumara is a sweet rod, must be clearanced. I bought a Crucial on clearance for $100 last year when they were changing styles regular $150 at Bass Pro

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:28 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links