I mostly use rubber worms, lizards, grubs and some spinner stuff.
I'm looking start using some crank baits, swim baits and buzz baits. I don't have a lot of experience with them. Any suggestions on brands, type, bait colors or, just your go to would be helpful. I'm making a shopping list and will shop around over the winter months . I plan on hitting the water as much as I can when spring comes. Any help will be appreciated.

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Two of my go to baits are the Rapala Original Floating Minnow (don't know if that would actually be considered a crank bait) and the Rapala Shad Rap. For patterns I like firetiger, perch, yellow perch and bluegill.

- Patrick

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:58 pm

kvd 1.5 all day

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Try the strikeking KVD series for crankbaits also try the strikeking double buzz ( 2 blades). The cankbaits should "match the hatch" Shad, herring or perch patterns work best around here. For a buzzbait I just stick with white. Get the 1/2 oz size and use some sort of soft plastic trailer AND a trailer hook.
MOst of the medium to big swimbaits require a rod specific for them. You are talking about throwing a 2-4oz bait. You might be able to get away with a 7'6" heavy flipping stick for the baits closer to 2oz. The smaller swimbaits 1oz< can be thrown on a 7' heavy or medium heavy rod. Maybe start out with a Mini MS Slammer and a Huddleston 68 special( not the weedless one) in a rof 12 and in perch color or rainbow trout.

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:35 pm

shawneramone

kvd 1.5 all day

I thought you were napping?

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Any one ever use this web site. I have placed a few orders. Prices compare to Dicks and Wally world.

https://www.outdoorsmandirect.com/store/pc/home.asp

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:51 pm

He seems legit...has a brick & mortar shop in Indiana.

street address

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:30 pm

I have purchased to orders from them. No issues. Pretty good prices.

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:47 pm

I was napping. Kvd in my sleep

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:04 pm

I have to agree with Shawn & Rich here. For crankbaits the Strike King KVD series are money! I like the 1.5 series- dives 3-5 feet (plenty of shad, bluegill and perch patterns). I'm also a fan of Bomber crankbaits- I own a bunch that dive 6-8ft, 8-10ft and 10-12ft. Another solid option is Rapala for crankbaits and jerkbaits- I do well with the baby bass pattern in the DT 10.

I have two favorite set-up when cranking: 7'1" med heavy Rage Rod with a Shimano Curado reel and a 7'1" med heavy GL 2 Loomis with a Abu Garcia Revo SX reel. Easily my favorite type of fishing other than froggin and night time topwater action.

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:13 pm

a few of my favorites.

Shallow with a tight wobble: Baker Lures Squarebill (no rattle)
Shallow with a medium wobble: River2Sea Ish Monroe Biggie Smalls (no rattle or rattle)
Shallow with a wider wobble: Strike King KVD 1.5 (no rattle), 6th Sense Crush 50X (rattle)

Medium with a tight wobble: Spro John Crews Little John MD (faint rattle)
Medium / Deep with a medium wobble: Bomber fat free shad (rattle)
Medium / Deep with a wider wobble: Strike King Series 5XD (no rattle)

Each have their place. That, color, and rattle / no rattle can make all the difference in the world.

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:24 pm

I crank until my arm falls off

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks for the reply's. I will be stocking up on just about everything you guys suggested.

Doing research and asking questions make a big difference.

Posted Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Storm makes a great inexpensive swimbaits and you don't need a whole new setup to start throwing them. You can get a 3 pack of their wild eye shads for like 3 or 4 bucks. They come from in different sizes from 2"-6". Bluegill or bunker color.

Posted Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:49 am

The kvd baits are just "ok". But replace any treble-hook (never understood them in the 1st place) with a circle-hook, keep the line tight, and enjoy fishing even more! Far more hook-ups, far fewer snags, finger sticks, and guts hooks; and much more fishing!

Posted Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:58 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links