i think this will be my last jig thread i post.

you guys modify your jigs at all. i.e. trim the weed guard, thin out the skirt. or do you just fish em stock.

i just got a big shipment of boag hoag. so far they've produced. love em. just wondering if i should start playing around.

i've got some bps enticer footballs, war eagle finesse cut jigs, war eagle brush jigs, some of bang bangs, and the bh ones.

Posted Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:28 pm

I used to modify the crap out of them, doing exactly what you said, trim and thin out the weed guard, trim the skirt. I would get hung up a lot and I just chalked it up to "it happens with jigs" I learned this from " the best" fisherman in my 1st club I joined 20 years ago. Then about 5-6 years ago I had a conversation with the best fisherman AND best jig fisherman I know. He told me he fished his jigs right out of the package. I asked him about not getting a good hookset with the long thick weed guard and short strikes with longer skirts. He said he never had a problem setting the hook since he "crosses their eyes" with his hooksets and that when a bass eats a jig, it EATS the jig. I listened to him and stopped trimming, thinning my weed guard and stopped trimming the skirt. I now go through 1/4 of the jigs that I used to go through and I am catching more fish since my jig is comming through structure and cover so much better. I almost never have to "blow up" a tree or bush because my jig is hung up.

Posted Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:39 pm

I trim skirt for sure. Most of the skirt is too long for my taste. Sometimes, I also cut off the outer skirt. I don't trim the weed guard that much. Sometime they have glue in it. I split it up, rock it back and forth, so they become little soft. I don't think the weed guard helps that much (in lay down and brush helps), I won't hesitate to fish it without weed guard. Better hook up for sure, especially cold water and sight bed fishing.

Posted Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Great info, thanks for sharing.

Posted Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm glad the jigs are working for you!
I have had alot of very good feedback!
I like what Rich says alot!
I do what he says,But also trim if needed. I make all my jigs stock and let the fisherman decide what he/she thinks is best.
Thanks again guys
www.boaghogbaits.com

Posted Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:59 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links