blackstonecarp

I think a lot of it comes down to info shared verse location given.

To be fair I think the trips are a great place to learn techniques. See what people do and what works. If I tell you that I was fishing watermelon senkos, wacky rigged over sunken timber , nailing fish at 5-7 foot deep..does it really matter that I didn't post an exact location?

I don't think so, I think the important thing is that I learned a bit about baits and styles that were working and got to see a few nice catches.

For instance I don't post many trips any more, mainly cause no one cares too much about carp fishing lol. The trips I do post are always written up and detailed, even though I may not give an exact location I talk about baits I have used and rigs I used and even try to do videos and plenty of photos etc..I think that the details and the stories are far more important then the location. I think that if someone tried to detail what they did and tell me a bit about their experience it is worth a few stars..f they just put 1 sentence and said I caught fish..then 1 star cause you bored me and I really can't learn anything from that.

I do believe in sharing and some spots are freely given..but sometimes you find a really nice spot that is just good to have in your back pocket.

I mean take carp fishing for instance. I will gladly show you anything to help get you started or learn. I'll explain baits and rigs, show you some prime spots and techniques to catch and land fish and take care of them..however I don't think it is fair to believe that you should get all the info it has taken me over 25 years to gain. I'd gladly take guys to some of my places to fish..but I am not taking just anyone to my best holes after talking to them once so that I can get taken advantage of or disrespected...or even worse put bow hunters on our fish etc like the 47 just taken this year Sad

I think that fishing is not just going out and landing fish, but it is also learning and exploring and enjoying the journey to get to where you are.

So while I agree some sharing is vital to the growth of the sport , I don't think it is reasonable to expect every detail ever learned to be handed out to everyone.

I agree on some points you said, but i believe fishing your spots should be known to people who really want to fish them. its a great way to have other people expand there horizons of fishing. Although it could a downfall to your favorite spot because some people are disrespectful and don't care about the area as long as they catch fish, And i think everybody should go carp fishing. Its one of the best fighting fish and its looked down upon so many fisherman.

Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:13 am

It could go either way with me. My personality. If I'm having a good time at a place, and know its a great spot. I'll tell anyone who is a good sport, but im not gonna blast it on the interwebs so everyone In the world knows. Now if the spot was shown to me by another person and asked not to share, then I'm going to respect that person and not show it. s*** I'll even roll up on someone on a tourney day, and if I'm having a good day on a specific lure. I'll tell you exactly what I'm catching them on. Speaking of which. Anyone got any honey holes in southern mass area? I refuse to go to long pond and wattuppa anymore. Very Happy

Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:45 am

The bottom line is there really are no secret spots anymore Exclamation With Google and Bing maps any place can be discovered for those that are adventurous Exclamation Laughing

Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:17 am

First, let me say that what I think is worse is when people purposely tell people to fish in places they know don't produce, and with the worst possible bait/lures.

With that said, Fishing/Hunting requires more then just showing up and casting a line, or firing a bullet or arrow. At least if you want to be successfull at your goal. There's a reason they have 2 and 3 day practice sessions during these pro bass tournaments.

The places with heavy traffic, no use trying to hide any info. Someones already fishing in your spot with your bait.

But....there are places that people drive by to get to other places that I have taken the time to fish and spend days at to find the fish if they are there. Sorry, dont' expect me to post it unless you are a regular on here that wants to share some of your spots with me.

Sounds fair, no? And this is where sending me to dumps that have no fish comes in. You scratch my back, i'll scratch yours.

Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:44 am

and actually going through the effort to black out the background of your pictures is a little extreme........ Rolling Eyes

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:24 pm

agreed. But of course my double super secret honey hole is the Charles River Very Happy

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:47 pm

tallimeca

and actually going through the effort to black out the background of your pictures is a little extreme........ Rolling Eyes

What about blueing out the background?

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:58 pm

stratos1966

tallimeca

What about blueing out the background?

I dunno about blueing but I blur mine alot..think it looks sexy, course helps that it is a picture of me!

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:22 pm

I call that the Penthouse squat

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:01 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links