It's time for our next kayak tournament. Our most recent winner Drew suggests-

I thought the next one could be held at Fairhaven Bay in Concord MA. I fish here once in a while with Pistol Pete and we always have pretty good luck.

There is a bridge on 117 (S. Great Road) that goes over the river. Shortly after you drive over the bridge, there is a small parking lot directly across from Farrar Pond - see Google Maps.

From the lot, there is a dirt boat ramp that puts you a 5 minute paddle ride away from the "Bay" portion of the river. I think this would be a unique place to hold this tournament because it offers the river aspect of fishing as well as the Bay portion which is more like a pond.

Let's get it going boys and girls.

Link to tournament rules - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RbssTXtV24M9lVoTDVlq8OKYkpdBGuCteU5_7NxM4M8/edit

1. Berkleegrad
2. (scratch)
3. Poundtown
4. Mrs. Poundtown
5. Pistolpete
6. Dirty Hooker
7. Mainiac
8. Juggernoob
9. Stevelibs

Drew, it would be great if you could actually post a map with a pin on the parking location. I wasn't able to find it on Google maps.

Last edited by berkleegrad on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:49 pm; edited 12 times in total

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:46 am

I love this location, you should include a Northern Pike lunker to this tourney just for fun, this place holds monsterous sized Pike, and if prepared they can be so much fun to catch.

good luck guys, great idea Drew!

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:07 am

Berkleegrad--- thanks for organizing another one....
can't wait.. I am sure it will be fun... Smile
Hummm how do you spell "Redemption".. BIG BASS!!

Never fished there and looking forward to learning of new places.

"Johnnybag-a-bass.. I lost a nice one in Stump Pond that cut my line.. lol.. now have a 6" 30 lb steel leader off the bait..they are fun to catch!

PJ

Last edited by pirougejoe on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:19 am

Poundtown and Mrs Poundtown are going to give it another go, no stumps this time around.

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:04 pm

I have to work harder to get my wife to agree to me getting a kayak.

This looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:18 pm

You can always ask to borrow one from one of our members. I know a few guys that have more than one.

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:21 pm

Great suggestion John - a good way to diversify the tournament. I'm trying to think of a way to do that without terribly affecting the payouts.

Option 1 - we could stipulate that the lunker award goes to the largest fish, either bass or pike.

Option 2 - we could create a second lunker award for pike and take the money out of first and second places. I think we would need to establish a minimum size though as we don't want a small fish to win.

Option 3 - we offer a side tournament for pike with a $10 buy-in.

Any thoughts?

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:55 pm

I think it should be a side pot. I dont have the equipment/experience to go for pike so I wont be targeting it at all, kind of handicaps a person's chance at a part of the pot

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:59 pm

yeah I guess i should have been clearer, fair haven bay you really just have to have a good leader, then you can use everything as normal, you never know when your going to hook into a 9lb northern in fairhaven bay, thats the beauty of that place.

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Good to know Very Happy

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:26 pm

johnny dont tempt me! I dont know if I can justify a trip to Dicks

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Well, you gotta go anyway to buy a new scale Very Happy

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:22 pm

hahahahhahaha touche

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:25 pm

berkleegrad

Well, you gotta go anyway to buy a new scale Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy he does have a point there ya know...

PJ

I have an extra leader if ya need it! Very Happy

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Pistolpete is in.

Since we're on the topic, my profile pic is from Fairhaven last year. 9# Northern. Johnny, I bet you know exactly where I caught it too.

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:08 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links