I just bought a used Citica.

To lube the reel, is it OK to use Ardent Reel Butter oil, or do I need to get some of the Shimano Bantam oil?

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:39 pm

I personally go with the Bantam, just because Shimano will send it out for free. I called them last fall and they happened to be out, but said they would send some along as soon as they restocked. I was told they would send a single vial for free, but additional ones would incur a small fee. When I opened the package, they had sent me 2. Good on them.

No experience with the Reel Butter.

Posted Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:47 pm

Just spit on it

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:13 am

Go on You tube and search 'super tuning a shimano curado" The citica and Curado are built very similarly. ignore the exchange up upgrades and watch how the reel is broken down, lubed and reassembled.

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:49 am

grease for gears and oil for bearings right?

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:22 am

Huh huh lube

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:30 am

samf

agreed

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:34 am

I have been using Penn lube oil on all of my saltwater reels and a lite lithium grease for the gears. I have never had a issue and old trick my Dad showed me.
I use the oil on fresh water reels as well.

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:20 pm

stratos1966

samf

agreed

ok good. i've been doing it right then haha

Posted Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:43 pm

Just about any grease will do I think, but I'd stick with Shimano grease. For oil, I prefer rocket fuel.

Less is more when it comes to grease and small precision moving parts such as in our reels these days:

"The application of grease is important. Grease should be applied at the base of the gear teeth so when the teeth of the gears mesh together, the grease is being used as intended. Wiping the outside of gears with grease will cause the grease to splatter inside of the reel and all is lost. Grease with a good temperature rating is preferred. Never use Vaseline."

"Rocket Fuel oil is available in three viscosities. The Tournament is very thin and used mostly by anglers in Casting Contests and must be applied quite frequently. Next , is the Yellow and is of medium viscosity and is used by most of us anglers. It doesn't have to be applied as often, Probably twice a season , depending on how much reel is used. The last oil is the Red and is the thickest and used by anglers wanting to slow down their reel. Rocket Fuel possesses slightly adhesive qualities at the start of the cast, yet is free running at end of cast. It will not evaporate, so the reel bearings will not film over, or have the oil in them turn to sludge. The oil will not mix with water, has a wide temperature range. It is not affected by any normal temperature differences and due to its slightly adhesive qualities, it will not easily be thrown off."

http://www.lakeforktacklerepair.com/techniques.htm

Posted Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:07 pm

If Iraq invaded Turkey from the rear, would Greece help?

Posted Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:19 pm

stratos1966

Wakka Wakka Rolling Eyes

Posted Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:24 pm

meat7gtk

stratos1966

Wakka Wakka Rolling Eyes

Come on, cut me some slack. How often does a topic come up where that line would fit?

Posted Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:13 pm

As always thanks everyone for all the helpful information. I ordered some Abu and Shimano oil.

Posted Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:14 pm

FWIW saw this on TT today....looked like a resource for folks looking to get into reel maintenance.

http://www.biggreenfish.com/

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:58 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links