Does anyone know how the bass fishing is on the lower basin of the Charles river? Are there smallies?

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:12 pm

I fished the Esplanade about two weeks ago. The Main channel on the Boston side didn't look very fishy too me. So I walked down toward the hatchshell and fished the canals in the park area.

The canals where very weedy. Lots of kayakers. I saw mostly sunfish and missed hooking up with about three dink larrys. Also I noticed lots of floating trash in the water.

It might be worth it, to fish it if you live on or near Beacon st. but I wouldn't make the trip and hassle with parking if you live outside of Boston.

Oh on a side note...the old guy who fishes for carp below the Watertown dam..keeps everything he catches. So that segment of the Charles is getting degraded as well. The Chilean sea bass that is on the menu in restaurants in Watertown probably is not Chilean sea bass but Charles River Large mouth or Carp.

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:06 pm

what is the "lower basin" of the charles? i know the waltham scretch very well

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:17 pm

enogueira

what is the "lower basin" of the charles? i know the waltham scretch very well

Between Harvard and Longfellow bridges

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:47 pm

OH, well, there are plenty of docks so im sure you can catch them pitching and flipping. ive tried the docks by the ice skating rink in brighton and it was pretty good.

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Its fun, but can be tough if you never fished it before. You will need a boat to appreciated it. The canals around the esplanade are only good in the spring. Yep, there are smallmouths.

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:12 pm

thelucky

Its fun, but can be tough if you never fished it before. You will need a boat to appreciated it. The canals around the esplanade are only good in the sprin
spring. Yep, there are smallmouths.

He doesn't have A boat. He has a nitro z series (forgot the specific model) haha

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:35 pm

I actually may take a few cast from shore around there after work today. Depends on parking and how many other people are fishing. I think there is a club tourney on the Charles today?

Posted Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:19 am

not sure if it's really worth it james. yes there are smallies and largemouth. are there big fish, yeah i'm sure but the boat traffic's insane and it's a long ride. you would have to launch at the brighton ramp and take a cruise down there.

Posted Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 am

Headway speed only too. F that

Posted Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:40 am

no need to go all the way down to the lower basin go up river towards the Netown yacht club. It gets shallow but deep enuff for
40 foot boat I think a bass boat will make it. If you really want to go up river just fish the bridges and the weeds along left side all the way down you will be pleased small and large along the way.

BIG CAUTION STAY AWAY FROM THE LEFT SIDE OF WATERTOWN
YACHT CLUB VERY SHALLOW FAST

I have been fishing the Charles River my whole life I know it
like the back of my hand.

Jack

Posted Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:49 am

Still not worth it if you're chasing smallies. Better off going to NH from where you live james.

Posted Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:36 pm

Yeah, not a place to go to target smallmouths. You go there to catch numbers.

Posted Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:29 pm

I appreciate all the input ! You guys are the best!! Thanks!!

Posted Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:08 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links