I'm switching a few of my reels over to mono for the rest of the season because i've noticed that my spools keep freezing up on the reels that have braid and the one reel i have with mono doesn't freeze bad at all. I hate to because i love the feel and no memory of braid but it is terrible in the cooler weather, seems like when the air and water temp is below 40 the spool with braid freezes over really bad. So what i'm wondering is does line conditioner really do a good job preventing memory with mono? and is there any specific brands that work better than others?[/list]

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:46 pm

i noticed the same thing last week when I was fishing in the snow. The braid holds water and the rod guides freeze up really quickly. Sorry, but I don't know anything about line conditioner, never used it.

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:49 pm

They work well on all lines but are great on Mono and Floro. I spray mine night before use and again in AM of fishing day.

Have used the KVd and the BPS noticed not diffrenece with either.

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:00 pm

agreed. i use blakemore real magic.

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:35 pm

FYI those products are just spray silicone. You can buy cans 2x as big for 1/2 the price from home depot.

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:49 pm

stratos1966

FYI those products are just spray silicone. You can buy cans 2x as big for 1/2 the price from home depot.

I use that Blakemore Real Magic and I always thought it smelled just like WD40. Can't tell the difference between them!

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:15 pm

I used the BPS stuff for the first time this year and definitely noticed a difference. What would I look for at home depot? WD40 for real? Somehow that seems bad

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:36 pm

wd40 is not silicone, I would not use it.

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:41 pm

I use reel magic as well I notice a difference the cast after I apply it it works for me

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:47 pm

motor oil?

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:50 pm

shawneramone

motor oil?

Ya Castrol 20w 50 in the summer 5w 30 in the winter to avoid freezing .

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:09 pm

sinista

shawneramone

motor oil?

Ya Castrol 20w 50 in the summer 5w 30 in the winter to avoid freezing .

That's what I was thinking

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:11 pm

stratos1966

huh ok. thanks for letting me know, guess i might as well try that

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Environmental question - is any of this stuff safe to be using in your favorite fishing areas? According to their MSDS, off-the-shelf silicone sprays are 60% petroleum, 35% propellant (propane/butane) and 5% silicone. http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-3in16539428.pdf

Reel Magic is mostly petroleum http://www.ttiblakemore.com/pdf/msds%20realmagiclube%20rml3.pdf

KVD Line and Lure - I cannot find an MSDS and I most certainly will not rely on the marketing propaganda from the web site. "It's made from a proprietary blend of non-toxic polymers. Why use sunscreen? Just spray on Line and Lure and get 100% UV protection all day!"

It seems that all of these products will make your line slicker and temporarily water resistant so that it casts a little bit further. Whatever other value they have is questionable.

And they are all guaranteed to empty your wallet. Very Happy

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:25 am

the most important thing about line conditioner to me is that it makes the line more manageable and reduces memory / coiling, especially with fluoro.

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links