Ya know none of us like wearing a PFD but here is a solid reminder of why we should make an effort to wear them. My wife is an ER nurse and she always says no one planned on the accident that got them a trip to the ER. Accidents happen and a PFD can save a life. This is a much better story to hear than it may have been if you did not have the PFD on. Also nice job saving the rod!

Tate

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:26 am

Shawn, I had no idea you had fallen in dude. That wind and waves were brutal yesterday, especially on the side opposite the launch.

I'm also surprised nobody mentioned that the EPs showed up at the ramp prior to launch and checked licenses and safety gear.

As a kayaker I'm really not bothered by wearing my PFD, it's just part of the kit. I keep my license in it so that I can't go out without wearing it.

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:14 pm

The EPO was pretty cool. All the numbers on my boat are ripped or missing and he didn't say anything. Just asked if I had a life jacket. And he gave Neil a whistle.

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Glad your ok Shawn.

No one ever thinks it will happen to them. When the water is rough (or anytime for that matter) one miss step and your overboard.

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm glad that your okay brotha and it was smart of you to be wearing the life vest and not just have it on the bottom of the boat...especially in those conditions. I'm sorry it happened to you but I think by you posting this others may now "wear" there life vests more often in the colder conditions. I wear mine when I go night fishing as I often do that kind of fishing solo but as other's have said the cold water is one thing but it's another to hit your head or get hurt on the way in.

You are definately an avid angler to have saved your rod despite the shock of the water.

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:55 pm

2 guys went over from a canoe in Princeton yesterday. One aint doing so well. No jackets as of the news.

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Glad your OK, I think the same as it wouldn't happen to me. But it happens to more than not. I always think if im solo fishing i should have one on definitely.
Glad to see someone helped asap.

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:14 am

I've been there myself in cold water. I fell in at Singletary a few years back in the early spring, at the ramp of all places. It drops off to 4-5 ft right off the wall. I was being lazy and filling my weigh in bag (with bass in it) and I went to bend over then....over I went. I had my cell phone, glasses and wallet with me! I remember taking a few mouth full of water and I'll never forget the extra weight (I already have enough) from my thermal underwear, heavy sweat shirt all adding additional pounds. I dragged myself up and out and I heard a few chuckles until they saw I was gasping for air. I can laugh now but if that happened in a boat!! I would be a gone! The good news is my fish never swam out of my bag when I fell in. I ended up winning some $$$ for all my troubles.

Be safe to all those fisherman fishing this time of year!

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:14 pm

That reminds me. My iphone was in an aquapac and my wallet and keys were in an otterbox. Completely safe

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:35 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links