Hi all,

Just moved up to Boston from Maryland, and my new apartment happens to be right next to Leverett Pond at the top of Olmsted Park. I've seen quite a few carp tailing and breaching, but am wondering if anyone knows of other fish species that may be in there?

Went out for about an hour this evening and had no takers on a beetle spin, Mepps black fury, Booyah pad crasher, or Booyah buzzbait. The water is incredibly muddy, with about 3 inches of visibility, though I figured that some of the areas looked like they might hold a few largemouth or pickerel. Anyone have any experience there?

On another note, took my first few fishing trips around the city this week, and had some good results on top water on the Charles near Newton and on Upper Mystic Lake near Winchester. Hope the summer is off to a good start for all.

Thanks very much!

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:39 pm

never even heard of that pond, you are better off on jamaica pond...

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:03 pm

Unless your fishing for carp, nothing to see there. I heard there is bass in there, but its not worth your time.

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:15 am

Thanks for the thoughts, guys! Will definitely check out Jamaica Pond for some nearby shore fishing, and perhaps give Leverett a try for carp only. Would be neat to haul in a fish right across the street from my apartment. Hope you both have a great weekend.

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:31 pm

Definitely give jp a shot. Brookline reservoir as well.

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks, samf. Will do! Too bad none of the Brookline or JP waters allow launching of privately owned kayaks...

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:17 pm

Hi biggreenbass,
I would definitely suggest giving Leverett Pond another go. Besides carp, I have caught white perch, bluegills, bullhead, eels, golden shiners and bass there. Today I went from 6:30 to 11 and landed 16 carp to 15lbs, with a couple of misses. I spotted some decent bass swimming in the shallows near the island. It can be very productive, you just need to know the right spots to fish. But I would suggest fishing for carp, as they are the most prolific fish in the lake. It's pretty fun landing 15lb fish on 4lb test. If you have any questions about the pond feel free to ask. I fish there just about every week.

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:37 pm

biggreenbass

Thanks, samf. Will do! Too bad none of the Brookline or JP waters allow launching of privately owned kayaks...

You have a yak, just throw it in the Charles. This time of year the Lower Basin on the Charles is awesome. Can be intimidating if you never been on it but there is a lot of fish. You won't find any monsters but schools of clones.

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks so much for the tips and generous information, bullhead! That's incredible to hear -- will definitely take you up on the advice and send along a PM. Had no idea it was possible to land carp of any size on 4 lb. test, much less 15 lbers! That must be pretty wild.

And thanks for the tip on the Charles, thelucky. Was actually on the river out of Newton when you posted, and got a few 18" largemouth and a pickerel on a buzzbait and swim jig. What a beautiful spot.

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:58 pm

crystal lake in newton is perfect for a yak

Posted Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:34 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links