Ok, so I was wondering if it is legal to shoot Jet Skis in MA, or do I need a special license for that?

I was over at the Mystic River near the mouth of Lower Mystic Lake fishing on the north side of the High St bridge in Medford trying to see if I could pick up any more smallmouths. The current was slow and it was quite peaceful there when I started. I was throwing a 4" Senko across the river to the usual rocky spots. I didn't get any bass, but at one point just when my senko hit the water, I got a huge strike from one member of a small school of Jet Skis that seemingly came out of nowhere from under the bridge, probably travelling about 30+ mph. He made a good run on my drag before the line finally snapped. Interestingly, he didn't seem so interested in my Senko, but rather went after the line itself. I have seen bluegills do this, but I never actually had one take off with it!

In any event, it became quickly apparent that light spinning gear is totally insufficient for landing this species, and I was thinking that perhaps a 12 gauge shotgun might be more up to the task. I know there has been talk about this for years in parts of New Hampshire, but I'm not up on the local laws here in Massachusetts about taking Jet Skis or what the limits/size restrictions are.

Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Posted Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:47 pm

I do believe that Massachusetts law allows all licensed anglers to take one jet ski a year. It must be of legal size, ie 440cc or above, a tandem hook up is allowed when a passenger is present, and I believe they also give out a state pin for anyone that catches one sporting their elusive spring and fall douche bag neon wetsuit colors!!

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:47 am

That's funny stuff there!

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:13 am

My understanding is that it's not that dissimilar to Carp fishing. Jetskis can be taken by spear or bow and arrow but no firearms.

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:24 am

wasnt there a movie with piano wire, two trees a narrow road and a motorcycle driver without head ?`

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links