I have been throwing jigs almost exclusively this summer with lots of decent fish and some pigs. Now that i have gained confidence using jigs i belive they will be taking the place for some other lures.

So anyone who fishes jigs alot i would like to know...

1. How long on average will bass hold the jig without getting spooked cause of line etc...

(I let them hold it for around 3-4 seconds an i only lose a fish here and there so im doing good for the most part, but i see some guys let the bass inhale the lure for 6 seconds +)

2. Does the rattiling BBs have any effect.

3. I know were not catching 15-20lb bass, but has anyone ever had a thin hook snap? I feel some jigs with the thin wire hooks look like they could be snapped off by hand.

Thanks MAFF

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 pm

lunkerhunter2366

I have been throwing jigs almost exclusively this summer with lots of decent fish and some pigs. Now that i have gained confidence using jigs i belive they will be taking the place for some other lures.

So anyone who fishes jigs alot i would like to know...

1. How long on average will bass hold the jig without getting spooked cause of line etc...

(I let them hold it for around 3-4 seconds an i only lose a fish here and there so im doing good for the most part, but i see some guys let the bass inhale the lure for 6 seconds +)

2. Does the rattiling BBs have any effect.

3. I know were not catching 15-20lb bass, but has anyone ever had a thin hook snap? I feel some jigs with the thin wire hooks look like they could be snapped off by hand.

Thanks MAFF

Why are you letting the bass "hold" you jig. Feel em and set the hook ..... Hard!!! Better yet watch your line for the tell tale "tic" on the initial cast. Thats when I get 80% of the hits, when I flip/ pitch into cover, I can see the line jump and I know its a fish. I reel in FAST and drill em!!

I will not throw a jig without rattles. Its a confidence thing for me. I feel
the noise can bring them toyourbait when they are not super active.

I have never had a hook snap but then again I buy jigs with Beefy hooks. Look up "dirty Jigs" those are my favorite. Another brand I use is" revenge".

Hope this was useful!!

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 pm

set the hook right away if you feel anything at all. Like stratos said, you can feel and sometimes see the tic of the line. Dont think that tic is a small bite, in actuality its the bass inhaling your jig. More often than not they will hit it on the fall or immediately when it hits bottom. be ready and dont have slack in your line.

I think what separates good jig guys from average is simply the fact of knowing when its been hit, They hit it and spit it sometimes, never wait to set hook.

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:16 pm

I fish jigs 95% of the time. I don't know why, i just love them. Unless i'm on my kayak then i usually throw a worm. I always keep my line taught, as soon as i feel anything pull on the line i set the hook. I personally have caught more bass on jigs without the rattles, but some people swear by them. And I usually only use the http://basspro.com/Buckeye-Lures-Mop-Jigs/product/10200784/114126 or something very similar, so I never worry about snapping the hook

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:08 am

I just started to throw jigs this year. It's really paid off. Most of mine don't have a rattle but after fishing with someone who swears by it I got a couple and have caught fish on them. Mostly I'm throwing jigs made by Jay at Boag Hog Baits. They are solid jigs and lead free. I set the hook on anything that looks or feels different. I swear the bigger the fish, the less line tic/pull whatever. It just gets heavy. There is definitely a learning curve. It's the lightest bite of any lure I've fished

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:56 am

shawneramone

I just started to throw jigs this year. It's really paid off. Most of mine don't have a rattle but after fishing with someone who swears by it I got a couple and have caught fish on them. Mostly I'm throwing jigs made by Jay at Boag Hog Baits. They are solid jigs and lead free. I set the hook on anything that looks or feels different. I swear the bigger the fish, the less line tic/pull whatever. It just gets heavy. There is definitely a learning curve. It's the lightest bite of any lure I've fished

Thanks Shawn and loyal maffers for supporting Boag Hog Baits!
"LEAD FREE GUILT FREE"
I too fish jigs alot and rattle or no rattle the jig is a good big fish producing bait.
If anything feels different just set the hook! You can only learn by doing. Time on the water will only make you better at all aspects of fishing.

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:30 am

Any tips for shore fishing with jigs?

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:37 am

taez555

I'd say follow same rules as from boat. Watch your line at all times.
Maybe try and be stealthy depending on what kind of structure your coming upon.

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:42 am

taez555

Be ready to lose some

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks for the info MAFF!

I always thought waiting to set the hook on a jig would end up with the bass spiting it, especially if the trailer has no salt or scent of any kind.. You can only imagine how a 3-4lb bass takes a jig... The ol bucketmouths practically vacum it of the bottom.

As for line watching and detection of a fish...I think im doing good. I feel some of the eaiser notice bites are always when the jigs already hit bottom, but i have my full attention on that slack line when it's on the fall...sometimes i dont even get a tick in the line, it just stops like it hit bottom.

Hooksets is one thing i manage to do well. When your on the boat with me you know when i got a fish LOL...
Unfortunately i have set the hook so hard it pierced through a couple eyes on smaller bass.

At the end of the day one very important thing i learned quickly is

if your not fishing seriously or really paying attention to things like fall rate,line,etc while using a jig you should put it away.

Again thanks for the info MAFF and tight lines to everyone!! Very Happy

Last edited by lunkerhunter2366 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:17 am

I will add that fishing them on 40-50lb braid helps in feeling,seeing the hit and setting the hook. Green braid will tend to bleach out after a few trips. I will let that happen and just recolor the first 3' with a green permanant marker. I always keep one in my tackle bag.

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 am

shawneramone

taez555

Be ready to lose some

"Some" is the understatement of the year. I have more jigs in Spot Pond than in my tackle box, and I just raided Basspro the other day for new jigs.

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:40 am

stratos1966

I will add that fishing them on 40-50lb braid helps in feeling,seeing the hit and setting the hook. Green braid will tend to bleach out after a few trips. I will let that happen and just recolor the first 3' with a green permanant marker. I always keep one in my tackle bag.

Trying to see flurocarbon is a nightmare. I lose sight of my line and takes me a couple secs just to refocus. I really like braid, but hate leaders. Besides flipin/pitchin into cover will braid work in open water without any leaders?

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 am

lunkerhunter2366

stratos1966

Trying to see flurocarbon is a nightmare. I lose sight of my line and takes me a couple secs just to refocus. I really like braid, but hate leaders. Besides flipin/pitchin into cover will braid work in open water without any leaders?

I never use leaders. What fish can see in 5-10' of water in most places is ...... not much. Are there a handful of really really clear ponds that it would matter on? Sure. On places like that use the floro if you think it hinders the bite. I probably have caught 100 jig fish this season, all came on straight braid with 3' colored green

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:52 am

stratos1966

Good tip Stratos, thanks!

Those Dirty Jigs look awesome, are they lead free? I couldn't tell from the site.

thanks

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:06 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links