So I just bought my first MS Slammer and after the fact realized that I don't really have the setup for throwing it.

Maybe I did that subconsciously so I'd need to buy more gear Razz

Anyway, I was wondering what's the cheapest Swimbait setup I could get? I just bought a new combo so I'm not really in a position to spend more $ for a quality setup.

Just something to get me by for a little while. Or maybe something used.

My other option is that I have an old MH low quality Quantum rod with an older Abu Black Max on it. Maybe I could get away with that until next season.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 am

What is weight of the slammer?
Do you have a surf-casting set-up. Just a thought?

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 am

jwall046

What is weight of the slammer?
Do you have a surf-casting set-up. Just a thought?

It's the 7", looks like it's 1.8oz

Unfortunately, I don't but I'm pretty sure my dad does. Hmm, maybe next time I'm home I'll see if I can borrow 1.

Good idea, thanks Jay.

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:36 am

Hope it works.
I just bought a slammer too Cool

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:08 am

I tried using a flipping stick and a pro qualifier and I killed the rod in a short period of time. You definitely need a swimbait setup. Okuma sells a couple of different versions in the 100 range. I have the Okuma Guide select 7'11 with a telescopic handle. It throws the slammer no problem. My reel is probably considered bottom of the line to swimbait guys but it does the trick. It's an abu garcia 6601 BCX. I was all gung ho for throwing these baits but just never built up the confidence. I have a few fish but the biggest one is about 4 pounds. I caught a 6.4 on a Boag Hog jig so I kind of went in that direction and built confidence in the jig which is now my goto bait. The slammer is fun though. It gives you a feeling like you can catch the fish of a lifetime on every cast.

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:04 am

I found this one online. Pretty sure you can get it for under $10

Laughing

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:09 am

stratos1966

Laughing

I saw a Brazillian guy using that with the 9" slammer last week

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:28 pm

shawneramone

I tried using a flipping stick and a pro qualifier and I killed the rod in a short period of time. You definitely need a swimbait setup. Okuma sells a couple of different versions in the 100 range. I have the Okuma Guide select 7'11 with a telescopic handle. It throws the slammer no problem. My reel is probably considered bottom of the line to swimbait guys but it does the trick. It's an abu garcia 6601 BCX. I was all gung ho for throwing these baits but just never built up the confidence. I have a few fish but the biggest one is about 4 pounds. I caught a 6.4 on a Boag Hog jig so I kind of went in that direction and built confidence in the jig which is now my goto bait. The slammer is fun though. It gives you a feeling like you can catch the fish of a lifetime on every cast.

Thanks Shawn, yea I'd like a setup like yours but even that is a little pricey for just throwing the one big bait I have right now.

I'd like to get some time on the water using them to decide if I really need a setup just for Swimbaits.

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:41 pm

stratos1966

Laughing

I actually have one of these.

It's my go to Senko setup Razz

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:42 pm

jjbagoose

stratos1966

Laughing

I actually have one of these.

It's my go to Senko setup Razz

wacky style of course

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:55 pm

BPS Bionic blade's are pretty good for the money and the heavy made for up to 2 oz is around $79, plus they go on sale a lot

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:32 pm

jjbagoose

shawneramone

Thanks Shawn, yea I'd like a setup like yours but even that is a little pricey for just throwing the one big bait I have right now.

I'd like to get some time on the water using them to decide if I really need a setup just for Swimbaits.

I've thrown hollow body frogs and mice with it too.

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:24 pm

I had the same problem when getting some of the Spro BBZ1 swim baits. Used the same solution as mentioned above, believe it was Jay, a small surf casting rig from Sports Authorty is about $35 and works great. Rig it with 65lb braid or heavy mono/ fluoro.

Never have to worry about wearing out the cheap system, because you'll wear out throwing it faster than the equipment.

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:48 pm

I have a shimano cardiff 400a if you wanna pm me an offer for it. its used for sure but still is mechanically sound. Might have a short salt stick that will throw it decent as well.

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:05 pm

dhutch

I had the same problem when getting some of the Spro BBZ1 swim baits. Used the same solution as mentioned above, believe it was Jay, a small surf casting rig from Sports Authorty is about $35 and works great. Rig it with 65lb braid or heavy mono/ fluoro.

Never have to worry about wearing out the cheap system, because you'll wear out throwing it faster than the equipment.

Very good idea. I'll probably do this unless I can find something used for cheap.

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:03 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links