34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
jigs
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 23

just wondering

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:57 pm

I have tons of luck with Rebel Jumpin Minnows, both the T10 and T20 size.

The last month or so lipless crankbaits have been catching up fast. I have a big ol' Rat-L-Trap and it has been doing me very well...

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:47 pm

i voted for jigs because i like to use them. As far as most productive lure , definitely soft plastics, but to me it feels like no skill is needed, just crank a litlle and let it fall. At least with jigs there is a little more effort involved so it feels a little more gratifying when you do land a fish. Topwater is also loads of fun too. Dont get me wrong, i like to catch fish a lot more often with soft plastics but like i said its just more gratifying, Just sayin

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Jigs. Fun to flip and pitch into cover and it is a BIG fish bait. Love feeling that "tic" and knowing a possible slob just sucked in my bait.

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:17 pm

I voted for topwater because I love the heart attack that a big blowup gives me. The jig was a close second. Like Rich says a little tic could be the fish of a lifetime

Posted Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:37 pm

The catch here is that soft plastics is such a large category. You are going to have a ton of people who like throwing senkos, or zoom Fluke, worms, frogs, grubs, trick worms, shaky head worms, finesse worms, etc and will pick soft plastics. I look at all my tackle and I'd say at least 60% of it is soft plastics. I think naturally the category of soft plastics will be the front runner in this poll.

Posted Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:32 am

brazzy

The catch here is that soft plastics is such a large category. You are going to have a ton of people who like throwing senkos, or zoom Fluke, worms, frogs, grubs, trick worms, shaky head worms, finesse worms, etc and will pick soft plastics. I look at all my tackle and I'd say at least 60% of it is soft plastics. I think naturally the category of soft plastics will be the front runner in this poll.

I think soft plastics will win because 75% of the guys are throwing senkos and refuse to put them down and learn

Posted Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:06 am

stratos1966

I think soft plastics will win because 75% of the guys are throwing senkos and refuse to put them down and learn

Sh!t Stratos! I'm trying Razz

Posted Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:13 am

jjbagoose

stratos1966

Sh!t Stratos! I'm trying Razz

I hear ya. Im just busting chops( not yours in particular) but there is some truth to it. They are hard to put down because they flat out catch fish but if I ask you why you got bit where you did, what the bottom was like, the depth, you would most likley not know. Thats ok too if getting bit is most important to you.

Posted Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:21 am

Rich I'm laughing here because I always expect your standard senko response. I naturally just wanted to learn more and last year I chose crankbaits. So after building confidence in that technique (far from perfected) I wanted to expand even more this year. I bought a used st croix mojo jig/worm rod and started to jig. I also bought a swimbait rod and a few MS Slammers (I still can't figure out the prime time for these. I have some nice fish but nothing over 4 pounds). My point is I think guys will either be content on just fishing senkos forever or like me will naturally want to learn new techniques. I just started walking the dog last week. Who knew a simple looking bait can elicit some crazy topwater strikes? Not me.

Posted Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:26 am

stratos1966

I hear ya. Im just busting chops( not yours in particular) but there is some truth to it. They are hard to put down because they flat out catch fish but if I ask you why you got bit where you did, what the bottom was like, the depth, you would most likley not know. Thats ok too if getting bit is most important to you.

No worries, I know you're busting chops.

And to be honest posts like this (which I've seen many times Smile ) in addition to all the educational posts you make on other techniques are part of the reason why I've been putting down the senko more than ever.

So thanks Smile

Posted Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 am

In the last few months Ive gone out throwing anything but senko's to start. I usually work with something else like spinners, buzz baits, jigs for the first couple hours and depending on the bite switch over to a senko just to avoid the skunk

Posted Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:58 am

From a fun perspective, I enjoy fishing topwater baits the most (including hollow body frogs). The strikes are just too much fun to pass up.

I do enjoy fishing jigs, although the lead ban has put a dent in my collection. I am also having fun trying to build confidence with swimbaits. I've had a few nice fish on the slammer and the buzzjet, but like someone else mentioned I am still figuring out when to throw it and when not to.

Posted Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:33 pm

My personal preference like some others in this thread are topwater baits. I will always start with a hollow belly frog such as the Kopper's Live Target or Snag Proof brands....the strike to hook up ratio is top notch. I also love fishing docks or rock piles at night with a my trusty black jitterbug. The adrenalin that rushes through my veins after a vicious attack is second to none. Probably 80% of my lunkers come on top water.

This year, particulary in the spring with cooler water temps I started using crankbaits...Rapala brand that run between 4-8ft of water definately produced numbers as well as some quality fish.

Swimbaits are also a top choice and I find that throwing them in the evening during late spring to early fall is the best time to find a lunker. They tend to cruise around in search for smaller fish near the surface that are attracted to the bugs.

In tournaments if all else fails the first couple hours I'll submit to the senko because they do flat out catch fish!

I gotta learn how to work the jig and build confidence as it is a Big Bass bait!

Posted Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Jig-n-pig by far is my favorite! I've had some luck lately with soft plastic swimbaits too, but jig is my #1 choice!

Posted Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:03 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links