you guys use this technique for fishing for trout or bass from shore. i don't have a boat, but am interested in trying this to keep a stick bait 6-12 inches jus off the bottom. if you google search it, most sites talk about its application from a boat.

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:50 pm

I do not think dropshotting would be the method of choice here. I'm thinking more of a Carolina rig. My thought on this would be you also want a suspending bait and this is all good but might need a little tweaking to get the bait to suspend the way desired. Let me know if you have any other rigging questions about carolina rigging or drop-shotting.

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:16 pm

I would imagine the worm would just sink down beside the drop shot if casted from shore. I would never tell you not to experiment, but they call it a "vertical presentation" for a reason.

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:20 pm

lmbking

I would imagine the worm would just sink down beside the drop shot if casted from shore. I would never tell you not to experiment, but they call it a "vertical presentation" for a reason.

---GREAT EXPLANATION !
I just got a day of lessons on this from ma' man damon this summer---Doesn't seem likely "you" could do this all that well from terra-firma....this is more/most effective "from the deck". . .it's not impossible...but more difficult I'm guessing. . .and again. . ."they call it a "vertical presentation" for a reason."

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:24 pm

jwall046

I do not think dropshotting would be the method of choice here. I'm thinking more of a Carolina rig. My thought on this would be you also want a suspending bait and this is all good but might need a little tweaking to get the bait to suspend the way desired. Let me know if you have any other rigging questions about carolina rigging or drop-shotting.

This is the way to go

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Gonna have to go with the general opinion here, dropshot is not the preferred method here and probably won't yield the desired results.

I personally would throw the carolina rig, if your looking to keep the bait up use a stick bait with micro bubbles, as they are bouyant and float, several manufactures make them. You could also try the old school worm blower method like I prefer and inject a small pocket of air into the stick bait you are using and it will float up of the bottom. (Try tweaking were you put the bubble for a tail up or nose up presentation). My gramps taught me that and it hasn't failed yet!

Ohhh and one other thing I have done with success is to bring a piece of styrofoam with me and an exacto knife. I make a small incision on the stick bait where I want the float point to be (ie tail, nose, mid) depending on how I want it to hang in the water. It takes practice but you insert a small piece of foam into the bait and "stitch" it up with superglue. I vary the size of the piece of foam to vary how high I want it in the water column (In conjunction with the lengh of leader)

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:10 pm

thanks for the tips. so basically save the dropshot rigs for when i'm out with my father in law on his boat.

what about using the drop shot off a boat dock? may have an application there?

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:24 pm

If the dock had some depth at the end of it I would't see why not, try the areas right behind were the boats park in the holes created by the prop wash. Never hurts to try!

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Fallen timber is a genious. That's good stuff right there.
But basicaly drop shot isn't exactly a 90 degree presentation all the time. In a fairly simple way if you can judge the depth of water you cast in and the distance you cast you can basicaly see with your minds eye the farther you cast the more horizontal the presentation becomes. like trigonometry. Again I think carolina rigging would cover a bigger area and be more productive. Especialy if you listen to Fallen Timbers tips! JMO

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:09 pm

americanspirit

you guys use this technique for fishing for trout or bass from shore. i don't have a boat, but am interested in trying this to keep a stick bait 6-12 inches jus off the bottom. if you google search it, most sites talk about its application from a boat.

By stick bait I will assume you mean a hard jerkbait and not a senko type bait. Jerkbiats are "reaction" baits. 95% of the time you want that bait moving either ripping it hard and making it move2-3' per rip or hard twitches where the bait has a lot of side to side action but only moves forward a foot or less. Bass "react" UP almost always. It is the action of the bait over their head that causes the "reaction". With a drop shot or carolina rig neither of these presentations are possible. At best you are just moving the bait forward in a slow, almost actionless motion. I have experimented with the jerkbiat on a carolina rig with little to no success. They make jerkbaits that will dive to 8+ feet and suspend. My favorite brand of jerkbait is Lucky craft. Pricey but worth it. I have 3-4 different models in 2-3 different diving depths to cover the water column.

Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:58 am

stratos1966

americanspirit

By stick bait I will assume you mean a hard jerkbait and not a senko type bait. Jerkbiats are "reaction" baits. 95% of the time you want that bait moving either ripping it hard and making it move2-3' per rip or hard twitches where the bait has a lot of side to side action but only moves forward a foot or less. Bass "react" UP almost always. It is the action of the bait over their head that causes the "reaction". With a drop shot or carolina rig neither of these presentations are possible. At best you are just moving the bait forward in a slow, almost actionless motion. I have experimented with the jerkbiat on a carolina rig with little to no success. They make jerkbaits that will dive to 8+ feet and suspend. My favorite brand of jerkbait is Lucky craft. Pricey but worth it. I have 3-4 different models in 2-3 different diving depths to cover the water column.

Glad you clarified that Rich, I figured he was talking about soft stick baits so I went that route, glad you chimed in with the additional hard stick baits info! All good stuff!!! ( And yes Lucky Crafts are pricey, but they do work!)

Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:37 pm

lol, I figured he was talking hard baits. I'm not a trout fisherman and wasn't gona down his technique figuring he just wanted to experiment. So even though i wouldn't try any of the tactics, we all gave him a bunch of great new ideas i believe. The Carolina rigging tricks from Fallen Timber were cool. There is some crazy methods used and the nice thing is everybody gives their opinion right, wrong, indifferent and people can pick and choose what they like.
Again this is what is great about this site!

Posted Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:31 pm

thanks guys. i was actually thinking of trying both soft plastics and a hard stick bait. but i posted the thread with hard bait in mind. haven't tried anything yet. past couple outings have been good on top with rapala J9's and J11's.

Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:01 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links