I've thrown the plastics from the shore the past two days with zilch to show for it. Are they still deep? If not, what are they biting right now?

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:18 pm

jgt11

I've thrown the plastics from the shore the past two days with zilch to show for it. Are they still deep? If not, what are they biting right now?

Some are shallow others are in the mid staging areas. If you are from shore you are limited to the lake structure in front of you. If its not a steep drop off in your access area it will be tough.

Plastics are also tough this time of year. So far this year, jigs, jerkbaits and crankbaits have been successful for me. Spinnerbaits would also work as the water warms up.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Find a spot with a drop off with weed or rock or some kind of structure.You have to fish very slow.Try a jig or drop shot.Maybe a senko or a very slow dragged worm.You may fall asleep retrieving your cast but thats how the fish are.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:25 pm

I'll give the jig a shot. I've been fishing the plastics reeeeaaal slow, so that won't be an issue. The hardest part is finding the appropriate place.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:36 pm

ive been catching most of my fish in 6-8 ft on jerkbaits

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Certainly won't rule out the jerkbaits either

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Only got about an hour in, but turns out this little buddy was all over the jig. Not a bass, but first of the year. Super soft bite too, especially for a pickerel this size.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=61d1783842&view=att&th=13df64e65dd3e219&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_hfd4zjq10&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-2rywnEXXkgpW8H6T5ALa5&sadet=1365636991894&sads=eFkvEKeZ-hywL2gfMmhp53PjndY&sadssc=1

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:40 pm

You need to learn how to post pics.

Anyway, depends on the body of water you are fishing . The good news is that temps are warming this week and fish will be moving into the shallows in most places.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:53 pm

I used the [img][/img] code and it didn't work for some reason, so I just left it as is so it would be clickable.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:55 pm

I have fished at least 6 different ponds the past 2 weeks with varying depths. I have not found the fish to be shallow in any of the ponds. Theys seem to be hanging (as stated) in the 6' to 10' range. They should be shallow by now but the water temp. just isn't cooperating. The bite should pick up quite a bit starting next week. I hope Exclamation Laughing

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 pm

I definitely agree, we finally put three consecutive days touching 70 degrees together, the bite should start waking up any time.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Don and I both fish south of Boston (he a little further south) and have been struggling to catch bass at our favorite haunts. I finally broke the ice on Monday and feel that the last two days of 60+ temps have probably made significant progress in getting the fish active at my local pond.

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:04 pm

I've been on a good bass bite. Lately. It has slowed down for me.

2 weeks ago. I was catching big bass up shalow. On jigs wake baits and Texas rigged plastics.
Caught a couple good bass on crank baits. Including a 4.9lbser.

I was cranking drop offs 6-7 feet of water.
Or a set of 3 stumps in 7 feet of water. Just off a drop off to a spawning flat! Water was 54 on Monday.

Yesterday I got only a few small bass on shiners.
Water temps have rose to 55 56 te water was very warm yesterday!

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:21 am

Stick with the jig I have stuck a few over 5 this year already you just cant beat a black jig with a trailer.

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:28 am

I have only gone once since the ice-out, but I did get some action. Truth be told, I had some bites by bass (small ones mind you) in the shallows. My big hookup however was probably in about 3-4ft of water, not terribly deep, but not shallow either. In line spinners seem to work pretty well this time of year, but just to screw with my head I caught the big guy on a soft plastic (worked slowly). I think the key lies within targeting them around sudden warm-ups more than bait selection.

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:12 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links