Hey everyone,

My 10 year old has asked me if we could go fishing for some black crappie this year. We have done lots of largemouth fishing together and now he wants to add crappie to the list of fish he has caught.

I am wondering if anyone knows any spots where the crappie are in good numbers as to increase our chance. Also, we do not have a boat so we will fish from the shore where ever we go. I was thinking of using either grubs or spinners but would appreciate any tips on lures.

I would prefer to stay within 495 and north of the Pike. But if I need to drive a little farther to have a better day, I would do it.

Thanks for the help.

Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:25 am

indian head river in hanover pembroke has a lot of white perch and crappies!

bring the fly rods and catch a bunch! also stocked with trout!

i never really target crappies, they are usualy by accident.

Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:47 am

We do not have Fly Rods.

Would attaching some flies to our fishing rods work? What type of flies would you recommend?

Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:09 am

yeah, basically, any kind of flies will do.. I like to use wolly bugger fly with bobber. effective with this kind of method. worked well with trouts too.

Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:22 pm

fly with a split shot works good!

tiny rapalas work good! do some searching!

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:21 am

Lake Winthrop and Stump have a buttload of Crappie. Try fishing off the dam if you go to stump with a bobber and medium or small sized minnows. You'll get some largemouth but I can almost guarantee you'll land at least a couple craps.

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:22 am

Grab some of those small crankbaits that look like crayfish and grasshoppers, used to kill crappies with those, they loved them.

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:36 am

walmart is fully stocked with those reble cranks! bee cranks ants fly hoppers and crawfish cranks

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks Everyone. When the weather warms I will let you know how we did.

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:07 pm

where abouts are you, AP?

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:55 am

I fish Forge Pond in Hanover a lot, because it is close to home, and it is Crappie Town of the South Shore. Check out my trips. I nabbed a lot on small jerk baits and inline spinners.

Posted Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:01 am

Here's a great link to an online crappie fishing magazine...great articles and free! Good luck

http://www.crappienow.com/home/

Mike C.

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:30 am

I have good luck with crappie on trout magnets, or a small crappie jig with a tube or grub under a bobber.

I use a twitch long-pause retrieve.

I also find crappie fishing best in the evening. I don't know how the cold affects this.

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:40 am

Caught a nice crappie fishing for trout the other day. Hit a small blue n silver fiord spoon the min it hit the water. They do love small shiners. Used to catch a ton when I was a kid trolling small cork head poppers.

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:30 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links