can someone remind me why i was thinking of getting into conventional set ups.

this year i've jig fished and frog fished with spinning gear. i wish i had a bit more power in the pads, but i was using a 6'6" MH rod. no issues with jig fishing on a 6'6" MH stick of rocks, stumps, laydowns

my thoughts are that i could just get a 7 foot or 6'6" heavy spinning rod instead of MH which would solve my problem in the pads. also a reel with higher gear ratio.

i hear lots of guys refer to spinning as "fairy sticks" and are hardcore conventional guys. looking for someone to sway me one way or the other.

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:48 pm

3 years ago I only had spinning gear. I lost some pigs in the pads using a 7' MH rod with 20# braid. Not enough power to get em out. I bought a cheap baitcasting combo from Cabelas to learn on. I actually bought 2 and killed both reels. You definitely get what you pay for and am now using reels in the $100 range. Mostly BPS Pro Qualifiers. I love my baicasters and this year I can count the number of times that I even took my spinning rods with me. Go with a baitcaster and you won't be disappointed but if you're anything like me you'll want one for each application. I have the jig rod, the crankbait rod, the topwater, the flipping stick...you know what I mean?

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:03 pm

shawneramone

3 years ago I only had spinning gear. I lost some pigs in the pads using a 7' MH rod with 20# braid. Not enough power to get em out. I bought a cheap baitcasting combo from Cabelas to learn on. I actually bought 2 and killed both reels. You definitely get what you pay for and am now using reels in the $100 range. Mostly BPS Pro Qualifiers. I love my baicasters and this year I can count the number of times that I even took my spinning rods with me. Go with a baitcaster and you won't be disappointed but if you're anything like me you'll want one for each application. I have the jig rod, the crankbait rod, the topwater, the flipping stick...you know what I mean?

Shawn, do you use a Pro qualifier on your flipping stick?? I just got one on my set up and a little concerned with the low drag settings they have. I broke a 6'6 medium light spinning rod, about 3-4 inches off accidently. Put a new tip on it and threw on 14 lbs braid and use it for skipping jigs and shakey heads mostly. only spin rod i own now

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:25 pm

should've grabbed my old abu garcia revo stx!! 20 lbs. of lockdown drag lol. you can slam big fish in the thickest stuff...slop, pads, your braid hanging over a tree branch, and no line peels out with these things. all kidding aside, i'll be selling some stuff real soon.

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:38 pm

samf

should've grabbed my old abu garcia revo stx!! 20 lbs. of lockdown drag lol. you can slam big fish in the thickest stuff...slop, pads, your braid hanging over a tree branch, and no line peels out with these things. all kidding aside, i'll be selling some stuff real soon.

haha right. Havent run into too much trouble but Im waiting for that day where I got to hand retrieve a fish. I eyed the new Revo' 8:0:1 long and hard on Monday at BPS but couldnt pull the trigger

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:54 pm

I like baitcasters because, for me, they are a lot more efficient than a spinning setup. I can get my bait in and out of the water a lot faster. More time in the water = better chance of getting fish. I'm right handed and use left hand retrieve so I don't have to switch hands. Now, everytime I pick up a spinning setup I fumble around with the bail and have trouble picking up the line with my index finger. I just find them frustrating.

BTW, any of the Abu's will serve as a decent frogging reel. My SilverMax has more than enough drag for the job, whereas my Quantum Smoke can't handle it.

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:25 pm

biggz53

shawneramone

Shawn, do you use a Pro qualifier on your flipping stick?? I just got one on my set up and a little concerned with the low drag settings they have. I broke a 6'6 medium light spinning rod, about 3-4 inches off accidently. Put a new tip on it and threw on 14 lbs braid and use it for skipping jigs and shakey heads mostly. only spin rod i own now

I have a Daiwa TD on my flipping stick

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:01 am

Every rod has a purpose. I wouldn't use a 7'11" flipping sick to drop shot etc. Bait-casters can basically handle a heavier rod,heavier line and tackle. Is it necessary? Probably not for all techniques. But it helps and it fun.
Keep you spinning gear for lighter applications or open water. I must say Stratos says he uses a spinning rod set-up for skipping jigs into cover.
I know a couple guys tuning reels. They buy a cheaper reel and replace bearings and drag washers to trick out the reel better than most. I have not tried this. I dont have any problems with my diawa and abu's.
if you have any problems post a specific issue and im sure someone has the answer.
Thanks

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:22 am

All my rods have one specific purpose, theres things you can do with a bait caster you cant do with spinning rod, and vice versa, the fairy sticks as you referred to them have won me alot of money over the past few years, in some cases all you can do is wacky rig a 4 inch senko all day to catch fish, once you get comfortable with a few quality baitcasting set ups you may never want to go back, its all personal prefereance

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:49 pm

I hbe a tough time skipping a bait with abait caster so whn I see a dock or whatever I pick up my spinning rod just more comfortable and confident with it in that application

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:58 pm

it takes a lot of practice to get a nice skip but it helps if you get a jig that has a flat bottom to it so you can pretty much skip it like a skipping stone. but short cut is that bait casters you can throw bigger and heavier bait with them, and with spinning rod you can throw smaller baits and lighter baits they both excel in different fishing methods.

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links