I need help with casting with my new bait caster.
Any tips?

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Sure. First, do you have it spooled with mono or braid? Mono is far more forgiving to beginners. I spent my first baitcaster season (last year) using only 17lb mono. This year I spooled it with braid and got a feel for that; it's definitely harder than mono. Now that I'm comfortable with braid I have 7 reels spooled with the stuff.

What reel are you using? Does it have centrifugal, magnetic or dual braking controls?

Last edited by berkleegrad on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:34 pm

berkleegrad

Sure. First, do you have it spooled with mono or braid? Mono is far more forgiving to beginners.

What reel are you using? Does it have centrifugal, magnetic or dual braking controls?

If your using thick enough braid( for pitching flipping frogging) it is easier to pick out the birds nests too. If your using it for other applications might be good to start with mono or floro. The only I ran into with this is the memory of the line for the first few trips caused quite a few nests

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:41 pm

i would take it to bass pro or someother store where people know their s***. (bass pro guys at least kno something at the reel desk.) and have them show you haw u should set up your braking systems and magnets and s***.

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:38 pm

And if you cant get to a store to ask someone there are hundreds of great youtube videos that will show you everything you need to know and if you search for a review of the specific reel you have most vids will show you how to set it up.

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Start with the casting control knob near the handle. Ideally you want to have this set to when you engage the spool your lure should fall slowly to the floor without backlashing. If you are just starting out then I would find this range and tighten is up one or two clicks. You'll want to check this when your changing lures.

Depending on what type of reel you have, the braking system will be centrifugal, magnetic, or both. The centrifugal braking system works by using friction. If you open the side panel of your reel there is typically a 6 pin system where you can turn brakes on or off. On some reels the side panel will be easy to access, while others you will need a screwdriver. In the on position the pins are pushed outward, this causes more friction when casting. The better you are at casting,you want less friction and rely more on your thumb. I would not recommend playing with this until you are comfortable. Usually the default setting is 3 brakes on and 3 brakes off. Keep it like this unless you are really horrible.

The magnetic brake is usually numbered from high to low, and is located on the outside part of the reel. Start with the brake completely on. Then as you get comfortable lower it one click at a time. You can really fine tune your casting with the magnetic brake.

The most important brake is your thumb. As you cast let the line feather your thumb, and when your lure hits the water stop the spool with your thumb. You can skip everything above is you just do this. Thumbing the spool is the key.

Oh, and try not to throw into the wind.

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Everyone Gave all great info. I'd recommend a 3/8 oz or heavier to start practicing. Heavier lure will help get the feel.
Good luck

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:09 pm

holly crap. wow never knew there was this much info on baitcasting reels.
Thank you all for the info. i thought it was put your thumb on the line and cast.
without you guys id still be fight back lash

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:39 pm

i got an abu garcia black max combo

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:24 am

It takes a little bit of practice.Starting out with heavier lures is a must.Make sure you always look behind you when you cast because if you snag something you will surely have a mess.Heavier line will be easier to pull out birds nests than lighter lines.Always keep your thumb on the spool when you get to the end of the cast and avoid casting into the wind until you get used to it.If your reel came in the box it will explain the cast control know and the magnetic or centrifugal control.

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:16 am

The black maxx combo is a great first setup thays what i started with and i still use it

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:14 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links