I am expanding my tools this year and striving to extend my skills. I plan on having a dedicated rod/reel for pitching a frog or jig into deep cover and I know that braid is a key element.

So, i see most anglers tying a mono leader to their braid? This makes no sense to me (weakest link theory). Also, is there a specific knot I will need to learn? 3rd: recommendation on brand/weight?

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:34 pm

wow this is also my goal this year to learn this pitching and flipping. I was just watching Denny Brauer videos on youtube. I think the Fluro is to give it a little bit of stretch. It seems the uni to uni knot is the easiest. I started using this knot last season when I started using Mono backing and then braid. I look forward to hearing from the guys to see what they're using.

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:50 pm

I use 30lb + braid most of the time. And if i'm flipping i do not use a leader. I found most braids are decent. i forgot the brand i bought last year but it was a better brand. Spider wire has worked for me too. I do use braid on my drop shot rod but with a 6' fluro leader with double uni knot. When i go back to work Monday i will look at my files. I have a link that brings you to a knot tying page that is animated and walks you thru all kinds of knots.
If this is still in question onday just p.m me and i'll post it up.

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:10 pm

This may be the site you're talking about, I use it often when trying new knots:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:44 am

zack137z

This may be the site you're talking about, I use it often when trying new knots:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

I use this one myself...a GREAT SITE...it's in my "favorites"..as a matter of fact... I just turned my buddy Bri' @ work onto this one just this past week at work...'Pays to be a computer geek sometimes...I personally went to it originally for 'The Allbright knot...with a Bimminy Twist"(Thank's to my best friend)...If I had one suggestion...don't try to "tie" while you're watching...unless you're a "google-eye"...then rock on

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:49 am

I definately recommend having a set-up or two devoted to froggin and flipping jigs or worms in heavy cover. I use Spider Wire Stealth Braid or Power Pro (whatever is on sale) and recommend buying it in bulk between 300-500 yard spools, you save loot in the end. Red is my go to color because we can see it but the fish can't or green moss as a standard. I have found that 20lb braid is definately strong enough to get big fish through heavy cover yet the line diameter is thin so you can cast it a mile. If I'm throwing heavy baits like swimbaits I'll use a 7ft rod with 40lb braid. As for leader's I don't use them for heavy cover fishing because it's a more vicious attack and the fish generally don't see the line tied to your lure. The only time I use a mono or fluro leader is bottom fishing near rocks of logs- try the alberto knot...very easy to learn and very strong. It's also a great knot if you attach braid to mono backing- good luck!

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:57 am

Sufix Seige is what i use. i remembered Very Happy

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:35 pm

50-65lb braid. No leader needed. I was a power pro guy and still am but I like the Sufix performance braid and the sufix 832 braid better. Smoother, more castable and it doesnt "fray" as much as the Power pro. Power Pro has a new braid called "super slick" I have not tried it because the cost is too high.

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:48 pm

[quote="stratos1966"] I was a power pro guy and still am but I like the Sufix performance braid and the sufix 832 braid better. Smoother, more castable and it doesnt "fray" as much as the Power pro.

what he said

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links