Considering switching from mono to braid. As I understand it, the pros seem to be increased sensitivity and strength with no stretch. Cons are knots (although there seems to be consensus that the palomar works well) and maybe increased line visibility. I currently use 10 lb Trilene XL on spinning gear and 14 to 17 lb on my baitcaster. I was thinking I might try some braid out on the spinning gear first since I use it more and was hoping for some tips and/or tricks about what brand isbest for spinning? Do I need a leader (most of the water I fish doesn't have great clarity)? I know some brands are saying they work well for spinning applications like PowerPro and Fireline and what I've read says my casting distance will increase (is that true? cuz that would be great). So any braid loyalists out there want point a potential new convert in the right direction?

Posted Sun May 19, 2013 5:46 pm

I have a spinning reel spooled with 30lb PP that I use for frog and swimbait fishing. I do not use it for all applications. It is becoming quite popular now for finesse tactics, 10lb or less. I still like mono or fluoro for that type of fishing. It is great for power fishing, you can horse them in out of heavy cover and not worry about breaking off. I would not worry about line visibility, I believe that the fish are focused on the bait and not the line Exclamation A lot of choices out there now, hard to recommend one specific brand.

Posted Sun May 19, 2013 6:40 pm

I use power pro 15lb braid.Seems to be strong enough to handle fish around here.Only time it snaps off is with pickerel or pike.Stuff casts a mile.only time I use a leader is when fishing for trout off the bottom.Other wise no need for bass fishing they don't see it.

Posted Sun May 19, 2013 7:23 pm

on spinning reels I use 10lb braid for finesse and 15-20lb for other stuff, no leader. I would suggest you try one of the "original type" braids first to get a feel for what braid is all about because there are variations of braid (twisted, fused, coated, etc.)
try powerpro original braid , spiderwire stealth, or suffix performance". but everyone has their own favorite and will tell you so.

ps: palomar knot will hold 100% or use double palomar. and braid does fray easier so you may be retying more often.

Posted Sun May 19, 2013 7:35 pm

I've been using the new Berkley Nanofil for a few months now and it's really nice. It's smooth as silk, no memory at all, very sensitive and casts a country mile. Only downsides are that it's sometimes hard to tie knots with considering I'm using 4# test and that knots slip easily. I use the double palomar but tying it to backing was downright painful. Good call with starting with braid on a spinning outfit, using it on a baitcaster is really different, or so I've heard.

Posted Mon May 20, 2013 8:39 am

I made the switch from flouro to braid on many of my setups this year, I have been using sunline sx1 in 12-20lb tests, I attach it to a 7-10lb flouro leader with an alberto knot. You do not always need a leader its up to you, I feel more confident with a leader as many of the lakes I fish have very good visibility. If you do use a leader 5-6ft is usually good.

Posted Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 am

I use braid on most setups. Baitcast reels 20lb test is the average. On spinning I started with the 20 lb test but changed to a lighter line. I use between 10 and 15 lb test with a leader most of the time.
Braid floates so if fishing weightless the bait will sink very slowly. This is why I use a long leader I use at least 15' of flourocarbon attached with a uni to uni knot.
Spinning setup for finese fishing 12 to 15lb braid with a flouro leader 6 to 8lb test.

Posted Mon May 20, 2013 6:00 pm

check out fireline crystal stuff works amazing! and its made for spinning rods.

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 2:37 am

+1 on Fireline and PowerPro Super 8 Slick

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 6:00 am

skewl

I've been using the new Berkley Nanofil for a few months now and it's really nice. It's smooth as silk, no memory at all, very sensitive and casts a country mile. Only downsides are that it's sometimes hard to tie knots with considering I'm using 4# test and that knots slip easily. I use the double palomar but tying it to backing was downright painful. Good call with starting with braid on a spinning outfit, using it on a baitcaster is really different, or so I've heard.

i use 8lb nano fil on my wacky worm setup and love it cause i can cast a 4" weightless senko style worm a mile and a half and even though its white the fish dont seem to mind cause ive cought 95% of my bass on this setup so far this year. berkley suggest you tie a "nano knot" which is just a palomar that is wrapped threw itself twice and it holds great ive never had an issue with that knot, yes it was a painful nightmare tying it to the backing they suggest an albright but i couldnt get it to hold so i just tied it to the backing with a triple surgeons knot . and it gets frayed pretty easily so i usually end up re tying after every third or fourth fish. as for braid its all about power pro super slick! i use 50lb on my frog rod as well as my flippin stick, i use 30lb on my carp rod and 15lb on my topwater spinning rod and i pretty much use a palomar exclusively with braid cause ive never had any problems with it slipping or coming undone and it can be tied in the dark. when using braid though keep in mind you will generally want to have rods with a softer tip to make up for lack of line strecth , it will act as your shock absorber otherwise you may find yourself ripping hooks out of fishes faces alot

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 4:15 pm

in short i wouldnt switch entirely to braid cause it has its ups and downs, for instance dont bait fish with braid cause even the slightest bit of wind and your line will just start blowing away and you will be retrieving and re casting your bait ALOT . it has a time and a place and i really only use it for areas that are very snaggy or if i am going after bigger fish that require some muscle to land

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. I was at Dick's earlier and was trying to decide between Fireline Crystal, PowerPro, and Spiderwire Stealth. I've been a Trilene loyalist for years so I went with the Crystal. Spooled up tonight. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. Leaving mono on the baitcaster for now since I'm far less confident with that than the spinning rod. Thanks again!

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 10:46 pm

I use power pro, I like it. It will knot up though. Got to use a swivel or two. Some guys use a florcarbon leader some don't. It depends on what your fishing for. On rocks it will fray up and break.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 7:52 am

I had fished mono on my spinning setup for years and just this season put braided on one of my rods and I like it because it allows me to really put a lot of line on the spool but unfortunately it can bird nest and wind knot ect.

speaking of which i need to go undo that wind knot.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 12:48 pm

I used to use braided line,but I didn't like the floating tendencies.The knots didn't bother me but I felt like I needed something else.I use either a floro or a copolymer now.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 3:21 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links