For the folks using Nanofil, any problems with it starting to fray or shred? I tried last year and at first loved it, but after a few weeks started to fray at different spots (not just the end section) and I had line breaks unexpectedly throughout the line. Would be great if you could change it out every few weeks, but too expensive.

Appreciate hearing what you experienced.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 3:27 pm

dhutch

For the folks using Nanofil, any problems with it starting to fray or shred? I tried last year and at first loved it, but after a few weeks started to fray at different spots (not just the end section) and I had line breaks unexpectedly throughout the line. Would be great if you could change it out every few weeks, but too expensive.

Appreciate hearing what you experienced.

i cant say ive had that problem although i do like to cut about 5 feet or so off the end every couple weeks just to keep it fresh.i will say though is that when using the suggested nano-knot i think that it holds very very well and the line itself is in my opinion very durable except for the part closest to the hook lol, bass teeth tend to shred the crap out of this stuff and the first couple inches usually get so frayed after 3 bass that ill have to retie for fear of losing my next fish. i was skeptical at first due to some bad reviews and i really bought it to cast light trout lures but its now my dedicated wacky rig line because a weightless senko will cast the length of a football field lol. all said and done i am a firm believer in nanofil (atleast 8lb cause its the only one ive used) and i will continue to buy it once this spool is run out. ive also cought multiple pickerel on it without a leader and didnt bother retying until the third one cut me off so thats pretty good in my opinion

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 3:35 pm

bassinbrooksy I have to apologize because one of the bad reviews you may have seen if it was on the bass pro website came from me. I got it in the middle of winter and could only tie knots with it because the ponds were still frozen over and some knot frustration led me to write an unfavorable review.

On the question of fraying though I do think that a mono leader would be a good call because I remember bringing in a hefty and very toothy brook trout (might have mentioned it in a previous post) on my 4# Nanofil and once the fish was ashore (thank GOD) the line snapped from I would assume the teeth on the fish. But with a mono leader you would also run into the same problem as tying the backing on would give you, which would be slipping. But aside from that instance I haven't had any problems with fraying, so you should be fine, maybe go one step up on the pound test. If you're going to be spending $20 for 150 yards you wanna make sure it won't snap on ya!

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 6:15 pm

ftmbasshunter

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. I was at Dick's earlier and was trying to decide between Fireline Crystal, PowerPro, and Spiderwire Stealth. I've been a Trilene loyalist for years so I went with the Crystal. Spooled up tonight. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. Leaving mono on the baitcaster for now since I'm far less confident with that than the spinning rod. Thanks again!

You'll be happy with that inused it for the first time lAst year when i bought a quantum smoke setup from another member on this site. So i tried it out and loved it I respooled a couple of my rods with it for this season and im still very very happy with it.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 8:50 pm

kizel13

ftmbasshunter

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. I was at Dick's earlier and was trying to decide between Fireline Crystal, PowerPro, and Spiderwire Stealth. I've been a Trilene loyalist for years so I went with the Crystal. Spooled up tonight. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. Leaving mono on the baitcaster for now since I'm far less confident with that than the spinning rod. Thanks again!

You'll be happy with that inused it for the first time lAst year when i bought a quantum smoke setup from another member on this site. So i tried it out and loved it I respooled a couple of my rods with it for this season and im still very very happy with it.

I actually tried it for the first time today and I'm very happy. There was some fraying but the sensitivity was outstanding! Thanks!

Posted Mon May 27, 2013 7:44 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links