sinista

all my reels need an overhaul, I dont have the privledge of having a rod locker to store them in so all the way to and from every event as well as on the water they are exposed, I found out yesterday I cant cast further than 50 feet with any of them, looks like a good sit down is in order and as soon as the season ends (soon) Im ripping my front deck off and rebuilding my whole boat with a rod locker

Nothing like a super tuned setup that can cast a whole spool of line off.

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:46 am

I also worked at bps for a while and could get the PQ's for $59.99. I sold all my revos and now have 7 PQ's. Never ever had a problem. My swimbait reel is a 9yr old PQ and cast like a dream. I only lube once a year.

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:54 am

twebber

I also worked at bps for a while and could get the PQ's for $59.99. I sold all my revos and now have 7 PQ's. Never ever had a problem. My swimbait reel is a 9yr old PQ and cast like a dream. I only lube once a year.

Do you fish in the cold? LIke 30 degree temps? If only one reel did it then I would think I had a reject.

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:06 am

shawneramone

twebber

Do you fish in the cold? LIke 30 degree temps? If only one reel did it then I would think I had a reject.

Pulled the boat out of storage last year in mid Feb. Ice in my guides and ice on my spool and no issues with the reels performance.
[/img]

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:10 am

sinista

all my reels need an overhaul, I dont have the privledge of having a rod locker to store them in so all the way to and from every event as well as on the water they are exposed, I found out yesterday I cant cast further than 50 feet with any of them, looks like a good sit down is in order and as soon as the season ends (soon) Im ripping my front deck off and rebuilding my whole boat with a rod locker

I hear you bud, my reels are beat as Josh can attest. I'm sending them all to reel-ex.com and adding carbontex drag washers to all and Abec 7's on a few to try them out.

Good luck with the boat work - post some pictures.

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:18 am

twebber

shawneramone

twebber

Pulled the boat out of storage last year in mid Feb. Ice in my guides and ice on my spool and no issues with the reels performance.
[/img]

I thought you would say that. I wonder if they're using different parts now or something. I love these reels but this one problem is driving me nuts

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Since we are on the subject of reels - you can find good deals on bassboatcentral.com in the classified section. I have gotten a bunch off of there. Just thought I'd share...

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:19 pm

I was at Bass Pro today. I was talking to 3 guys that have never heard of the anti reverse not working in the cold. They've been in my house for a couple of days and won't budge in reverse. They're working perfectly. Must be the cold

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Shawn, you're just too hard core for those guys. ICEBREAKER!

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:42 pm

The guy was like if you have the receipt just mail them to us and we'll send them out to be cleaned up. I was like ya when the water freezes and he started cracking up. I'm hoping to do something this weekend.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:24 am

Hey Shawn just saw this on the reviews for the PQ.

Overall Rating:
2 out of 5
No Good,
December 16, 2012
By Jimfish1
from Ct

Advantages: Ease of use, Value for money
Disadvantages: Performance, Durability
"Had problems with Bass Pro reels in the past. But after reading the reviews for this this reel. I decided to give it a try. Bought it in early Sept. Reel was very smooth and worked very well till the water temp got cooler in Late Oct. Then the handle started going in reverse. The reel is still very smooth. But with the handle going in reverse it is useless to me.
Most likely I'll never buy a Bass Pro brand reel again."

A new PQ and the guys having the same issues.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Interesting. People who have older ones have no problem in the cold. I'll bet they changed the anti reverse bearings in newer models.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:36 pm

I have a Pro Qualifier and have posted on here that it is pretty much garbage. It worked well for a few months, then I cleaned it, and took the side off to lube/clean the grime out and it never worked right since then. I went through the schematics several times and there was no way I put it back together in the wrong order.

I still use it, but now the side falls off every once in awhile and the drag is garbage. As soon as I can justify buying a new reel, I'm throwing this one in the trash.

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:26 am

I don't even own a BPS PQ, I own the cheaper Extreme and it also does the exact same thing in the cold weather, which is rather annoying when you're trying to jerk a jerkbait and it like mini backlashes and you swear at yourself and people think you're insane.

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:09 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links