After I changed the wording in my google search I've found plenty of people with the same issues and it appears that once again I have over lubed. I'm going to take them apart this week, clean them and give them a light lube job. Maybe if I'm lucky Stratos will give me a demonstration on proper lubing techniques

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:34 am

When googling "over lubing" always have safe search on

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:13 am

well i guess over-lubing creates a sticky mess. but seriously, you don't need a lot of grease or oil. grease for the gears, oil for the other things like bearings.

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:18 am

all my reels need an overhaul, I dont have the privledge of having a rod locker to store them in so all the way to and from every event as well as on the water they are exposed, I found out yesterday I cant cast further than 50 feet with any of them, looks like a good sit down is in order and as soon as the season ends (soon) Im ripping my front deck off and rebuilding my whole boat with a rod locker

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:42 am

It is important to keep your rod protected

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:46 am

shawneramone

It is important to keep your rod protected

and lubed properlly

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:51 am

Never go trolling without a rod sock

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:55 am

shawneramone

After I changed the wording in my google search I've found plenty of people with the same issues and it appears that once again I have over lubed. I'm going to take them apart this week, clean them and give them a light lube job. Maybe if I'm lucky Stratos will give me a demonstration on proper lubing techniques

THem? you have more than one?? Whoa now Im really confused??

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:23 am

stratos1966

Never go trolling without a rod sock

Especially in the Taunton River Or Watuppa Pond Area, Hmm now that I think of it Ive seen an awful lot of Rod Socks on the ground in the Watuppa and Gag-awam River parking lots??? Do people just throw them out after one use or can they be reused??

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:27 am

I own 6 of these reels, going on 3 years now and never had an issue. I fish them hard so I guess I've been lucky.

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:55 am

tommyboy

I own 6 of these reels, going on 3 years now and never had an issue. I fish them hard so I guess I've been lucky.

do you lube them?

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:38 pm

don't forget to use a rod sock for protection. very useful when it's getting banged around.

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:09 pm

shawneramone

tommyboy

do you lube them?

Lube? whats that?

I paid $60.00 a piece for them back when I worked there. For that price I didn't care. They've held up for me. Come to think of it I think there going on 4 years. Dam time flies!

I like the reel for the $$$.

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:09 pm

So John mentioned the cold. I did an experiment and took one in the house. After it got to room temp, the anti reverse worked perfectly. When I fished the next day it worked perfectly for a couple of hours but as the day wore on it started to slip. Last night I took my 2 oldest ones apart (one of the ones that was slipping the worst) and they were nasty inside. I cleaned them up and hopefully won't have any more problems. I'm going to do the rest of my reels tonight.

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 am

Good information guys- I just bought my first pro qualifier about 2 weeks ago and put it on a jonny morris Bionic Rod- the set-up feels really good and the casting has been fun to learn.

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links