so today i went to bas pro to purchase a reel for my jigging outfit (a penn international torque) now the advertised price of this reel at bass pro is 599.99 however they happen to have a price match guarentee advertised on there website. all you need to do is bring in an ad. so i looked around at the prices of this reel at several other stores. i found one at redtop for 479.99 so i printed out the ad and seeing as bass pro is about an hour shorter of a drive then redtop i headed out. so i went to the reel guys and he said that he couldn't match that price. when i asked him why not he said he'd have to call the manager to explain. so he came over the walkie talkie and said "so whats the question" after some talking between the reel guy and the manager i asked why they refused to honor there advertised policy he stated that there was nothing to honor as redtop sporting goods was not considered there competition. so i said obviously you don't consider me a valued customer either i come in here every year twice a year and spend hundreds of dollars on your stuff and then this is the way I'm treated? it just didn't make sense to me. if you bring another advertised price into home depot or something they won't even question it they'll just sell it to you cheaper. its just ridiculous. its not even like they wouldn't even be able to make any money off it either there mark up was obviously incredibly high. if a small shop like redtop is selling it for that price than obviously a large chain of stores like bass pro shops can afford to do this. you'd think that they'd realize that this small portion of the profit margin this removes would be nothing once they considered that it would mean keeping a customer happy and would more importantly to them keep me spending money. now thats not even the biggest issue i have. when i aid to the store representative that there was no way i was buying this reel from this store and that it was unacceptable to be treated this way and that i was leaving and going straight to redtop he went on to tell me how there reels were garbage and they were used or reconditioned. now when i went to redtop i was at first wary then i saw the reel and it was in no way shape or form reconditioned i was absolutely furious with the bass pro employee. thats just straight up slander. anyways the bottom line is this: support your local tackle shops there more knowledgeable about what your buying and usually a lot friendlier as well. needless to say i will never be shopping there again. and if people shop there after hearing this then there just stupid. they have nothing that a local tackle shop or another internet supplier doesn't have. ahhg some things just make me so angry

Posted Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:43 pm

I work in retail and we have a no question no receipt return policy.I hate it but it keeps the customers coming back the few that abuse the system are tiny in the grand scheme of things it is just good business tough to take some times but customer is always right(at least we make them feel that way)!

Posted Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:54 pm

I just buy online

Posted Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Why not go over their heads and call corporate? If they advertise a price match guarantee there should be no question.

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:34 am

its just not worth my time. besides there loophole was that they only matched the competitions prices. they dont consider the mom and pop tackle shops there competition. and now that I've been treated this way redtop and other stores like that will be getting all my business.

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:02 am

I know common sense isn't all that common but if one store sells the same exact product as another store isn't that competition? With the ability to buy online that makes it even easier to buy from who has the best deal. BPS dropped the ball here

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:26 am

Actually, it might just be worth an email to corporate, you may get a nice perk out of it. Be nice about it. Express your "surprise and astonishment" that the management at this location failed to honor what is a seemingly straight forward policy, one that other top line retailers offer without hesitation. If you are purchasing $600 reels, you are clearly the kind of customer they want to keep happy. State that you have been a loyal customer but this latest negative experience has left you feeling like you no longer want to do business with them.

Are you a Bass Pro Rewards member? Give them your member ID so they can look up your purchase history if you think it might support your claims.

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:27 am

tom_cove

so today i went to bas pro to purchase a reel for my jigging outfit (a penn international torque) now the advertised price of this reel at bass pro is 599.99 however they happen to have a price match guarentee advertised on there website. all you need to do is bring in an ad. so i looked around at the prices of this reel at several other stores. i found one at redtop for 479.99 so i printed out the ad and seeing as bass pro is about an hour shorter of a drive then redtop i headed out. so i went to the reel guys and he said that he couldn't match that price. when i asked him why not he said he'd have to call the manager to explain. so he came over the walkie talkie and said "so whats the question" after some talking between the reel guy and the manager i asked why they refused to honor there advertised policy he stated that there was nothing to honor as redtop sporting goods was not considered there competition. so i said obviously you don't consider me a valued customer either i come in here every year twice a year and spend hundreds of dollars on your stuff and then this is the way I'm treated? it just didn't make sense to me. if you bring another advertised price into home depot or something they won't even question it they'll just sell it to you cheaper. its just ridiculous. its not even like they wouldn't even be able to make any money off it either there mark up was obviously incredibly high. if a small shop like redtop is selling it for that price than obviously a large chain of stores like bass pro shops can afford to do this. you'd think that they'd realize that this small portion of the profit margin this removes would be nothing once they considered that it would mean keeping a customer happy and would more importantly to them keep me spending money. now thats not even the biggest issue i have. when i aid to the store representative that there was no way i was buying this reel from this store and that it was unacceptable to be treated this way and that i was leaving and going straight to redtop he went on to tell me how there reels were garbage and they were used or reconditioned. now when i went to redtop i was at first wary then i saw the reel and it was in no way shape or form reconditioned i was absolutely furious with the bass pro employee. thats just straight up slander. anyways the bottom line is this: support your local tackle shops there more knowledgeable about what your buying and usually a lot friendlier as well. needless to say i will never be shopping there again. and if people shop there after hearing this then there just stupid. they have nothing that a local tackle shop or another internet supplier doesn't have. ahhg some things just make me so angry

+1

BPS hate me....

I have a wide selection of marine electronics... Humminbird, Lowrance, Minn Kota and Motorguide Trolling Motors/Talon',
HydroWave, Navionics, LakeMaster, along with Boating accessories and much, much more. 972-822-9285
www.shut-up-and-fish.com

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:56 pm

shut-up-and-fish

tom_cove

+1

BPS hate me....

I have a wide selection of marine electronics... Humminbird, Lowrance, Minn Kota and Motorguide Trolling Motors/Talon',
HydroWave, Navionics, LakeMaster, along with Boating accessories and much, much more. 972-822-9285
www.shut-up-and-fish.com

So can you beat the $479 on that Penn reel?

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:45 pm

stratos1966

shut-up-and-fish

tom_cove

+1

BPS hate me....

www.shut-up-and-fish.com

So can you beat the $479 on that Penn reel?

stratos1966,

I do not deal in reels. I carry Marine Electronics and Boating Accessories.

www.shut-up-and-fish.com

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:20 pm

I shop at Bass Pro and there are some not so bright bulbs in the fishing dept and they need to be removed. If you know the associates name I would start by speaking w/ the fishing dept manager. I think his name is Steve he actually is a nice guy and goes out of his way to help customers. I have worked retail management for over 15 years and there is always employees that think the money is coming out of there pocket. I would at least tell him your story and if your still not happy w/ his response ask for store manager. Still not happy district manager. It might help the next guy that is looking for a fair price match. The manager of fishing is the only one in that dept that has any follow up. I called on a St Croix rod for two weeks and not one person returned my calls. I spoke to the manager and explained the lack of follow up and gave him the names of employees I spoke with. I do'nt think anything happened to them but he got me the rod at the reduced price I wanted. I know this is no help now...

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:02 pm

so I checked it out a bit...

What I found was unfortunately, you are wrong about their price match policy. On their website, it states

Price matching with competitors:

Competitor price matching requests will be granted if the prices are current, dated and nationally advertised. The following exceptions are applicable:

All conditions on ad will apply (i.e. limited quantities, special purchases.)

Items to be price matched must be an exact match (i.e. color, pattern, model size, and year.)
Bass Pro Shops will not honor prices on closeouts, clearance items, inventory reductions, special buys, discontinued, or reconditioned merchandise.
Website prices will only be honored from established retail companies that are open to the public and have a physical address.
All price matches must be verifiable; a verifiable copy of the ad, complete with store name, sale dates, and model number of item must be faxed (417-873-5056) or mailed to us-Bass Pro Shops, Attn: Customer Service, 2500 E Kearney, Springfield, MO 65898
Request for price match must be received prior to end of competitor's sale.
Orders can be price matched within 30 days of purchase.

All price matches are subject to approval.

The reason why your request was denied was because it's not a nationally advertised ad price. Example, it's not a Cabelas, Dicks, ect add going out all over advertising a special price on this product. Small stores that advertise online is not considered national advertising.

If it were to be further combed through, it states website prices will only be honored if it is opened to the public and has a physical address. Technically, the price you seen was on an online store web address, which is different from the address of the actual company. Further more, they list this real as not in stock.

I work in retail and deal with this stuff all the time. It's frustrating to the customers sometimes if you don't read and understand the process. Not for nothing but BPS's price on this reel is very reasonable. A quick search and amazon scan found this same real 50 to 100 bucks more at many places. The place you bought it is over 100 bucks cheaper then the lowest price I could find in that same model and gear ratio/spool size. The fact that this is not nationally advertised makes me think that this is a loss leader for this business, as many of the reels may be, to get people to come in, then buy a bunch of other stuff while they are there. Part of retail business.

Home come you didn't order it and just have it shipped rather then driving all the way there?

As far as the employee at BPS.....no excuse to slander another store using the terms and accusations he did. I'm sure he would easily be reprimanded for that and you talked to the right person. Might save someone else the aggravation, or might go in one ear and out another.

I went to buy a new fridge last week, model was advertised with a free ice maker and 10% off with free delivery and haul away. Decided to go with the stainless front. Was charged for the ice maker.......WAIT A MINUTE? Sale fine print only lists model number specific of black and white colors, not stainless. I told the guy, so I'm going to spend over $100 more on this fridge for a cheap stainless laminate on the doors, but I can't get a free ice maker? Then give me the black one. Needless to say, they work on commission and I ended up with the stainless and ice maker for no charge...

Posted Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:12 pm

sooooo your telling me that people in say california couldn't easily google the torque reel setup and order it from redtop? and even if it wasn't "nationally advertised" they still should've given me a break on the price. like i said before home depot did not. I've seen them do it for customers on many occasions from small lumber yards. I've even seen them do it for ads that weren't even for the same product. its because there a good business. unlike bass pro shops. i didn't order the reel because i needed it for a trip i was taking to jig up some tuna. now this reel was not a loss leader. at least i don't think it was. i mean they've had this reel there for much time at the same price. I've seen this reel at several other tackle shops for the same price as well. i don't know maybe they all just use it for a loss leader. but for the price i could've gotten that reel for at bass pro i ended up getting the same reel fully spooled with braided line and an extra rod for my setup (the penn torque rod). I've seen several setups like this sold from this store theres no way there taking losses of over a hundred dollars on these setups. eff bass pro and the idiots that work there. also i called corporate and after a reasonably polite conversation with the lady on the other end it ended up in a screaming match in there complaint dept. or wherever it was they directed me too. the people on the phone were incredibly rude. they actually asked me if i had a rewards card and i told them i did. oops i guess i failed to mention this before... after the treatment i was given at bass pro i took out my leatherman and cut up my rewards card in front of the guy. so when they asked about i really didn't have anything to go on. anyways. regardless of the prices there. and putting aside the horrible treatment they gave me. I'm never shopping there again just because there directly responsible for putting the hard working, knowledeable, and honest staff at the mom and pop stores out of jobs. so forget them. shop where you'll get what you went in there for and more. down with the big man hahaha

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:46 pm

I was simply trying to help you understand, not defending bps. I can see from your reply that you still dont understand. I worked for the depot for some time , this is how i know bout this situation . Posting a price on a website is not national advertising.

Your idea of a good business is giving things away? I fully support you supporting the small guys. We appreciate that. However the big box stores have poisoned the american consumer. So if redtop wouldnt match the price to something bps was selling cheaper, would you not want to deal with them? Not understanding why you feel like you are entitled to a break or discount? You asked... they said no... if you had to have it at the lowest price, move on. Thats what you did, kind of...

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:13 pm

I was simply trying to help you understand, not defending bps. I can see from your reply that you still dont understand. I worked for the depot for some time , this is how i know bout this situation . Posting a price on a website is not national advertising.

Your idea of a good business is giving things away? I fully support you supporting the small guys. We appreciate that. However the big box stores have poisoned the american consumer. So if redtop wouldnt match the price to something bps was selling cheaper, would you not want to deal with them? Not understanding why you feel like you are entitled to a break or discount? You asked... they said no... if you had to have it at the lowest price, move on. Thats what you did, kind of...

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:24 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links