Bottom line they should do the price match. No retailer wants to loose a customer over a price match. The employee does not see the big picture and how much money they will be out, not on the price match but for the lifetime of the customer they just lost.

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Personally I don't think they should give a price match..if it is against their policy then they should stick to policy. It is that simple. How many times do we tell our kids that they can cry and whine all they want but they can't have a cookie, or ice cream or get a toy etc...then why should whining to a store manager because we want a price drop be any different? Why do we think that acting like a spoiled brat and pitching a fit should result in getting our way?

The fine print is there, the store gave you the answer..and I understand you want to vent about your ordeal...but I think that claiming BPS is bad business is a bit over the top..they obviously are good business as they are in the black. If they weren't they'd be having a going out of business sale lol.

Also the "I come in here twice a year and spend hundreds"...small potatoes in a big potato sack bud. Hate to say it but when 1 boat sells for 10+ thousand, and there are thousands of people through those doors monthly...a few reels and bags of worms don't make you a vital part of their income. Not a shot at you, just saying. I spend less then that there every year..it would be a joke to claim that losing my 2 hundred bucks would be a big deal to em...

The point is..sucks you couldn't get a deal there..but order it online and bobs your uncle.

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:11 pm

tom_cove

after the treatment i was given at bass pro i took out my leatherman and cut up my rewards card in front of the guy.

Wait, after being denied, you pulled out a knife?

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:38 am

tom_cove

so today i went to bas pro to purchase a reel for my jigging outfit (a penn international torque) now the advertised price of this reel at bass pro is 599.99 however they happen to have a price match guarentee advertised on there website. all you need to do is bring in an ad. so i looked around at the prices of this reel at several other stores. i found one at redtop for 479.99 so i printed out the ad and seeing as bass pro is about an hour shorter of a drive then redtop i headed out. so i went to the reel guys and he said that he couldn't match that price. when i asked him why not he said he'd have to call the manager to explain. so he came over the walkie talkie and said "so whats the question" after some talking between the reel guy and the manager i asked why they refused to honor there advertised policy he stated that there was nothing to honor as redtop sporting goods was not considered there competition. so i said obviously you don't consider me a valued customer either i come in here every year twice a year and spend hundreds of dollars on your stuff and then this is the way I'm treated? it just didn't make sense to me. if you bring another advertised price into home depot or something they won't even question it they'll just sell it to you cheaper. its just ridiculous. its not even like they wouldn't even be able to make any money off it either there mark up was obviously incredibly high. if a small shop like redtop is selling it for that price than obviously a large chain of stores like bass pro shops can afford to do this. you'd think that they'd realize that this small portion of the profit margin this removes would be nothing once they considered that it would mean keeping a customer happy and would more importantly to them keep me spending money. now thats not even the biggest issue i have. when i aid to the store representative that there was no way i was buying this reel from this store and that it was unacceptable to be treated this way and that i was leaving and going straight to redtop he went on to tell me how there reels were garbage and they were used or reconditioned. now when i went to redtop i was at first wary then i saw the reel and it was in no way shape or form reconditioned i was absolutely furious with the bass pro employee. thats just straight up slander. anyways the bottom line is this: support your local tackle shops there more knowledgeable about what your buying and usually a lot friendlier as well. needless to say i will never be shopping there again. and if people shop there after hearing this then there just stupid. they have nothing that a local tackle shop or another internet supplier doesn't have. ahhg some things just make me so angry

So having had a similar experience at a different store this is what you do, you climb the ladder all the way to the top and submit a complaint to the Main Office letting them know the situation, maybe even digging up past recipts to prove how much money you have spent with them over the yrs, In most cases to preserve the Integrity of the Company they will offer you not only an apology but some kind of reimbursement for your troubles, more than likely a gift card, try it out you would be surprized, make sure you let them know the sales person/managers name

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:53 am

sorry neil i settle customer greivences all the time, I hate people like you! lol

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 am

johnnybag-a-bass

sorry neil i settle customer greivences all the time, I hate people like you! lol

I love you too Johnny LMAO

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:33 am

Interesting read and as manager of a retail store who deals in customer service frequently. I have to say we have policies that are the law so to speak. So price match sure if it is the exact same name make and model per our policy, exchanges for damaged or broken goods sure no problem sorry for your inconvenience. But you saw something at store x and looks like this one but it is a different name but the same brand sorry no dice period end of story.

There is good and bad in ever thing. So far for me at BPS it has been mostly good. The bad some higher prices at times not the selection I was hoping for. And the obviously damaged items in brand new packages sitting on shelves.

The good, when my new Trolling motor purchased online had an issue it was replaced in Foxboro no issues. When my rod socks did not fit no issue. My daughter had an accident there and got a bruise and cut they tired like hell (and I know why) to get us to fill out a claim and offered us this and that. All I asked for was an ice pack , water and a band aid as imo it was oe that caused the issue not a store issue.

Take it from some one in customer service though they believe so the customers is not always right. Read your warranties and I mean all of it. Study the policies and I mean all of it. Then if you feel you have a beef bring it on and I am all to happy to correct, match or replace the topic at hand.

Ok I am done now.

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:39 am

I've never had a problem with BPS. They have been more then helpful with their products and been more then fair when I needed to return something. It's to bad they didn't honor the add price but my overall experience with them is 5 stars. I use both big chain and mom and pop stores to find the best deal I can. Sounds like you made a wise choice to buy your reel at Redtop but I wouldn't throw BPS out with the water just because they couldn't/wouldn't beat their deal. Needs to be more then that for me.

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:02 am

davf62599

I've never had a problem with BPS. They have been more then helpful with their products and been more then fair when I needed to return something. It's to bad they didn't honor the add price but my overall experience with them is 5 stars. I use both big chain and mom and pop stores to find the best deal I can. Sounds like you made a wise choice to buy your reel at Redtop but I wouldn't throw BPS out with the water just because they couldn't/wouldn't beat their deal. Needs to be more then that for me.

well said i feel the same way, thats a nice pig in that pic man, check out the new thread i'm starting kayak tourneys, check it out

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:28 am

Bottom line they should do the price match. No retailer wants to loose a customer over a price match. The employee does not see the big picture and how much money they will be out, not on the price match but for the lifetime of the customer they just lost.

First, that price match is over $100 off which is a significant amount. The guy at the reel counter and department manager don't have the authority to override a price match. That's a large percent off the price of the item. We aren't talking about 10 bucks here. They need the customer to bring in the advertisement. Not a printout of their internet sales page. (Yes, I called them and asked).

Second, it's a proven fact that 9 out of 10 people who say they will never shop or eat at a place again always go back.....

Famous last words as they say.

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:00 pm

ok so yes i did pull out a knife after i was denied but not in a threatening fashion. and not that losing my patronage is a big deal to them but if they keep up what there doing yeah its going to be a big deal because there going to lose more customers. and that adds up. idk i guess I'm just confused how no internet advertisement isn't national. sorry about my rude last post uhmm i was slightly pissed off at that point for other various reasons not involving this thread. and i think i had a right to act the way i did at the store until the end i was very well spoken and well mannered not whining like a child and throwing a fit until they started talking smack about other tackle shops i frequent at which point i got angry. still did not whine but . and no the idea of a good business is not giving things away but it is competing with "competitors" prices. unfortunately bass pros only competitors are the big boys in the business apparently. and the thing is i will bet money that redtop would match an advertised price and if they didn't i would understand because they don't have the steady flow of money that bass pro has. which i get i just don't see why they wouldn't match the price and even if they took a loss. which is not likely. you'd think they'd do it just to keep a customer. i guess i just don't get it i work in construction not business or customer service so i guess i just think things should be simpler in the world and maybe policies shouldn't be so complicated and fine print and whatnot. and yeah the fact that they wouldn't match that price wasn't enough to get me to boycott bass pro. its one reason among a slew of others. thanks for listening though guys and brining up some great points i really appreciate it. hahaha sorry for being an ass.

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:27 pm

The easiest way to sum up the National thing is..just because it is on the interwebs does not make it a national store.

Meaning they will not match a local shops prices because it is not a national store...so say someone in Texas cannot say they saw a price online for a store only in Massachusetts. The store has to have physical addresses in various states and regions i.e. nationwide in order to be considered National advertising. Just having one store in say Maine, does not make you a nationwide chain.

The reason for this is because you can always find a deal somewhere. However they want to keep their over all prices low..so they try to match other major stores in order to stay competitive on the national level. It is not cost effective to attempt to match every small store in existence however as many smaller stores can have less over head and offer better deals locally then major chains can. Not always but often enough that many small businesses stay in business...So most "price matches" are meant to focus on their direct competition in the whole of the country rather then on a state by state basis.

Also on a side note..cops don't care if your threatening or not..in a frustrated state, reaching for a weapon is never a good idea and is a good way to get yourself hurt.

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:40 pm

makes sense. thanks a lot for the explanation. and yeah cutting up the card may have been a bad decision luckily they took it well. although theres still a lot of stuff i don't like about bass pro and honestly a better business would've matched the deal i can somewhat understand why they denied my request. and i realize that its not the associates faulat its the companies, still a lot of things i don't like about them. i guess I've never really like them I've never had very good experiences with them

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm

A large store like Bass Pro should match any stores ad. I can see having an issue with a web site ad but not an ad from what we called at Home Depot as a brick and mortor store. Home Depot will beat any in-stock ad price by 10%. On special orders they will match. When I started with H.D.1996 we had signs all over the store stating Home Quarters ad is our ad, do you think this was successfull? The average markup on retail items is 100% do you think they can afford to take the hit and keep a good customer. A happy customer tells 10 people. An unhappy customer tells 10x that number. Sure appples to apples and all that crap but take care of your customers and you will have them for life.

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:43 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links